401k advice

Antonio1981
This topic is 1519 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I would strongly agree with continuing the contributions. The stock market is almost always a good investment if your investment window is over 10 years, ESPECIALLY when the market is down. While it may drop some more this year, it's highly unlikely the market won't have recovered in 10 years. Never put money in the market if you think you might need the money in the next few years. But volatility shouldn't worry you if you don't need the money any time soon. When I inherited money from my mother's estate, I put all of the money into treasury notes and none of it in the stock market, because I knew that if the stock market crashed, I did not want to have to wait it out (I want to buy a house in the Los Angeles area to retire this winter). That being said, I do have a lot of money in the stock market and would lose massive amounts of money were I to sell now. But this is money I wasn't planning to touch for the next ten years, so I'm not sweating it. I've lived through stock market crashes before, and while it's disconcerting to see money appear to vanish, this is a time to be investing, not the other way around.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic