Social Distancing - Neighborhood Style

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 1498 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Last Thursday, I received an email from a neighbor suggesting that since we have several 'single' (mostly widowed) residents in the condo association of 64 units, we could all step out on front porch at 7:00 and wave at each other. Thursday evening's event went well we mostly waved hello and may have chatted across the street for about five minutes in the cold temps. The consensus was that it was fun and we should keep it up.

On Friday, another neighbor suggested we should have a daily beverage we can each have to add to the sense of community. Friday's was a Manhattan since NYC had been announced as shelter in place. (That hadn't started in Ohio yet.) I missed that email, so I was stepped out without the assigned beverage.

On Saturday, the temps were to be cooler so the recommended drink for the evening was cocoa and Bailey's. (I fell asleep watching TV and missed joining the neighbors.)

On Sunday, since Gov. DeWine had announced the mandatory Stay at Home rules, the beverage for the evening was wine (or whine), either red or white. Since I had over 20 bottles to select from, check. I've now realized we are no longer staying on our porches and yelling. We are migrating to the street, but still keeping six feet apart (expect the couples who were cuddling to keep warm.)

On Monday, there were no beverage instructions, so I and the neighbors closest to my condo all showed up without a beverage.

Today, the beverage was the one everyone was waiting to enjoy - Corona with a lime. I didn't have a corona, so I conformed to the best of my ability with a gin and tonic (and lime.) The gathering stretched to 30 minutes.

Looking forward to tomorrow's email with our designated beverage.

• 3 weeks later...