Flat Earther Daredevil Mike Hughes, R.I.P.

E.T.Bass
This topic is 1566 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was thinking this morning how apropos his name, Hughes.

Daredevil and flat earther Mike Hughes died this weekend when his homemade rocket crash landed in the Mojave Desert.

Rather than rushing to criticize the man's judgment, one might admire all that he put into this hobby. Maybe one can draw inspiration.

Instead of linking directly to the tragic video, here is a video of the aftermath when Howard Hughes crash landed his XF-11 in Beverly Hills.

SB Sun article

Edited by E.T.Bass

The launch was being filmed for Science Channel.

I see no mention of family, so perhaps no one was around to offer him perspective of the risk. Maybe he didn't care. There are videos of him performing limousine stunts, ala Evel Kneivel, and at least one prior rocket launch he survived.

Reminds me of another lone fellow out on the desert, Leonard Knight, creator of Salvation Mountain.

Makes me wonder what drove these guys to do what they did. The desert seems to have a lot of folks more comfortable being away from it all.

The launch was being filmed for Science Channel.

I see no mention of family, so perhaps no one was around to offer him perspective of the risk. Maybe he didn't care. There are videos of him performing limousine stunts, ala Evel Kneivel, and at least one prior rocket launch he survived.

Reminds me of another lone fellow out on the desert, Leonard Knight, creator of Salvation Mountain.

Makes me wonder what drove these guys to do what they did. The desert seems to have a lot of folks more comfortable being away from it all.

I wouldn’t discard mental health issues.

Poor soul. I once watched the flat-earthers documentary but still couldn’t understand what made these people insist in such absurd theories.

Yes, mental health may play a role in it.

Is it also faith?

Some people need something to believe in especially when that is the only thing driving them forward each day.

Believing the earth is a disk with oceans surrounded by a ring of ice is the kind of magic thinking people might hold faith in.

Knowledge why the earth cannot be flat doesn't convince them..

the video of Saturday's accident is easily found online....it isn't gruesome, but it's very -- well -- definite........

drifting off topic, @E.T.Bass 's link to the Howard Hughes crash reminded me of this youtuber who goes around to famous historic sites and discusses what they look like now......really kinda cool......here's his 10:26 long report on the Howard Hughes crash site as it looks today.....he has other youtube videos if this piques your interest......

and re-creation of the crash in the movie "The Aviator" with Leonardo DiCaprio

Edited by azdr0710

I wonder how the flat earthers reconcile the fact they have supporters all around the world? ?

It must get under their skin, references to global warming. Do they admit whether the ring of ice holding the oceans of Earth's great flat disk in place must be gradually melting? ? Those of you flat earther's in the forum, please chime in.

Edited by E.T.Bass