Job Search: Starting Over Past Middle Age

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 1546 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is very personal. I hope I am not making a mistake by posting.

I received a very big shock last week. My company is restructuring. I have to find another job. I have not searched for a job in 20 years or so. Any advice on things to do that might hopefully speed the process? Or any other advice ?

Thanks.

I received a very big shock last week. My company is restructuring. I have to find another job. I have not searched for a job in 20 years or so. Any advice on things to do that might hopefully speed the process? Or any other advice ?

Thanks.

You may find this thread of interest: https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/help-dealing-with-long-term-career-change.154771/

Take a breath. I know it seems scary, but you will get through this.

I am in an industry known for rapid change (which I define as 'firing everyone in sight the moment there are signs of an economic downturn'). This has been part of my life for a long time and I have planned for it to happen. No doubt it will be a shock WHEN it happens.

Make sure you have an up to date LinkedIn profile. But your most likely opportunities will come from those that you know and that know you. Reach out to people you know in the industry or business world. Let them know you are looking for an opportunity to make a change. Change can be hard, but it can also be a positive thing.

Thanks.

Very sorry to hear that... I'll mention a couple of things here without knowing what type of work you have been doing, what things you are interested in, and who you are as an individual.

In your resume/cover letter I would emphasize that you are a loyal and stable employee as evidenced by 20 years with one company. And maybe also indicate that while losing your job due to restructuring is difficult, your natural inclination to be positive and productive means you view this period as an opportunity to pursue new career challenges that will also assist in your ongoing personal growth and development.

It is never easy to lose a job, but you no doubt have a number of advantages over younger job seekers. Perhaps you are more mature, more adaptable to changes given your life experiences, more adept at building relationships with coworkers/clients, have a different work ethic, etc. These are things you can emphasize about yourself (without being negative about younger potential competitors in the job market).

You might want to reach out to employment agencies/ head-hunting organizations as well, because they may have contacts that could be beneficial too. They may be aware of a number of positions out there that are waiting for someone just like you.

These are just a few ideas... good luck with the search, and stay strong :)

I work in career counseling so I have a bit of experience in helping people look for jobs. One thing that is definitely true that wasn't 20 years ago is the importance of a good social media profile. I'd recommend creating a solid LikedIn profile (if you don't have one) with your employment history and the skills you offer to another employer. If you can, definitely start asking some supervisors for recommendations/references very early. They can actually do that on LinkedIn so you can be ready to go when you're applying for jobs. Often employers will recruit directly on LinkedIn using skill/experience searches. I've known several people that have gotten jobs this way so it's more important than many realize. Indeed.com could also be a good web site to use, but often it's best for more working-class jobs.

And definitely reach out to your professional networks. Often they will know of jobs before they are even posted. Definitely a good way to get into a company through a friendly acquaintance.

Happened to me a few years ago. I was terminated while on short-term disability after twenty years with the same employer, with never a less than “meets position requirements” review even when taking on different roles with increasing levels of responsibility. For those wondering, the legality of that action was challenged and “resolved.”

Nevertheless, I was devastated. I never expected it. First you’re in disbelief, then frightened, then angry. You’ve already received some excellent advice from the earlier posts. Take that anger and turn it into resolve. Contact current and former colleagues. Post on LinkedIn (and Facebook if you’re on that platform) that you’re in the market and make sure your profile is updated, especially contact information. Reach out to family, friends, and neighbors. You never know who knows whom.

As a hiring manager, my advice is to update your resume. After twenty years there are probably former positions early in your career that are irrelevant. I don’t need to know that you worked at McDonald’s while in college if you’re applying for a financial analyst position twenty years later. Remove them completely. Make sure it’s no longer than two pages MAXIMUM, preferably one. You don’t need a job description under each position you’ve held. Give summaries of your experience and results/achievements across all positions, then list your former employers with the dates. I recently had to fill three positions and was receiving three page (and one four page) resumes from people in their 20’s. I don’t want to read a book.

I’ll close by telling you how things worked out for me. A manager to whom I reported left our former employer shortly before this happened to me to run his own division with another company, heard about what happened, contacted me, and said he had a position waiting for me when I recover. Turns out, I’m happier with my new employer than I ever was with my former. Moral of the story: things happen for a reason and though it didn’t seem like it then, in hindsight it was the best thing that could’ve happened to me. You’ll get through this.

As a hiring manager, I look at the succinct resumes that list skills and experience relevant to the role. My firm uses a plethora of customized systems, so resumes that highlight an ability to learn quickly and adaptability rise to the top. The skills summary @RJD mentioned is a great idea. My resume leads in with "I am a [insert brief description] and bring the following skills and tools:"

One other suggestion: PLEASE do not use passive voice and third-person in your resume. Companies was action. The resume is about you, so it is OK to use "I" statements. "Was responsible for managing..." should read "Managed..." While this is not English Comp class, it is your first chance to make an impression.

Lastly, I ask people who use me as a reference to contact me each time they do so and give me a summary of the following:

• The job they applied for
  • Whether they are using me as a colleague or manager reference
  • What they told the hiring manager they did when they worked for/with me

This helps the reference provide an accurate reference that is tailored to the job.

OK, this is really the last thing: It is OK to tailor a resume to a specific position or type of position. I have a "leadership" resume and an "individual contributor" resume.

One other suggestion: PLEASE do not use passive voice and third-person in your resume. Companies was action. The resume is about you, so it is OK to use "I" statements. "Was responsible for managing..." should read "Managed..." While this is not English Comp class, it is your first chance to make an impression.

Lastly, I ask people who use me as a reference to contact me each time they do so and give me a summary of the following:

• The job they applied for
  • Whether they are using me as a colleague or manager reference
  • What they told the hiring manager they did when they worked for/with me

This helps the reference provide an accurate reference that is tailored to the job.

@rvwnsd Excellent points.

Action words, especially in the results/accomplishments section, i.e., increased revenue, reduced expenses, streamlined processes stand out.

I do the same with people for whom I provide references. Nothing like a “pop quiz” reference call.