Is it even worth posting in Thailand?

TylerandAce
This topic is 1542 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think I’ll likely be in Bali then, will be in Thailand from April 4th to 10th or so.

thanks for the heads up - I’m going with someone who has been going for 25 years, so I’ll definitely not be totally out of the loop, but happy to hear any suggestions

When in April are you going?

I repeat same warning as before about Thai New Year on the 15th... it is wonderful but also crazy time, especially if it is your first visit!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LeonTrotsky

If I have to give five thoughts about travel to Thailand....

1. Always be polite.... Thai people take this very seriously, so do not be loud, do not argue, do not be too high headed. Respect the buddha, the king, and older people.

2. Eat street food... it is delicious and cheap. "mai pet" means not spicy, "pet nit noi" means little spicy, "pet mahk" means very spicy. do not try to show off... spicy thai food is really spicy, haha. also be sure to say to the person who makes the food that it is "aroi" (delicious)

3. There are many people who will try to sell you things and offer to take you places... it is best to avoid them politely by saying "man ow, krub"

4. Bangkok is not Thailand and Thailand is not Bangkok.... is you have the time try to go to other provinces. The people look different, the food is different, and so on.

5. Thai weather is hot. Mad hot. Crazy humid. Be careful.

Just top of my head things here, haha

I cannot stress strongly enough the need to respect the King. I know that, as an American, this seems a bit much, but it's true. You can be arrested for disrespecting him. Colleagues have learned this the hard way!!

Thailand’s Lese Majeste Laws

Disrespecting the King of Thailand or the royal family is a serious offense in Thailand; it’s officially illegal and strictly enforced.

People have been arrested for speaking negatively about the royal family. Even making jokes or criticizing the royal family on social media is illegal. Those convicted have received very lengthy prison sentences for doing so — tourists are not exempt.

Because all Thai currency features a portrait of the king, stepping on or damaging money is a serious offense — don’t do it!

Guest LeonTrotsky
I cannot stress strongly enough the need to respect the King. I know that, as an American, this seems a bit much, but it's true. You can be arrested for disrespecting him. Colleagues have learned this the hard way!!

Thailand’s Lese Majeste Laws

Disrespecting the King of Thailand or the royal family is a serious offense in Thailand; it’s officially illegal and strictly enforced.

People have been arrested for speaking negatively about the royal family. Even making jokes or criticizing the royal family on social media is illegal. Those convicted have received very lengthy prison sentences for doing so — tourists are not exempt.

Because all Thai currency features a portrait of the king, stepping on or damaging money is a serious offense — don’t do it!

And..... if you go to see a movie to get away from the heat, before the movie starts they will play the King's anthem, and people stand for it.

It is NOT ok for you to sit!

Gorgeous hotel and fantastically situated, but is there one you'd suggest that isn't for the one-tenth-of-one-percenters? We is workin' men.

You can always find a deal out there: Amex Plat 3-4th night free through FHR and/or member rates with Hilton. I got a 2br villa down to under $300 a night with breakfast and airport transfers included. This is definitely not a 1%er hotel.

Banyan Tree, Tongsai Bay, Silavadee and Nora Buri are also all solid choices.

Guest LeonTrotsky
You can always find a deal out there: Amex Plat 3-4th night free through FHR and/or member rates with Hilton. I got a 2br villa down to under $300 a night with breakfast and airport transfers included. This is definitely not a 1%er hotel.

Banyan Tree, Tongsai Bay, Silavadee and Nora Buri are also all solid choices.

$300 is likely a month salary for most thai people. @TylerandAce

Depending on your comfort requirement you can have a nice place that is much more thai for 10% of that rate.

$300 is likely a month salary for most thai people. @TylerandAce

Depending on your comfort requirement you can have a nice place that is much more thai for 10% of that rate.

This really didn't need to turn into a money issue. I was simply suggesting a nice place to stay.

These are tourist spots made for tourist money. I don't see how bringing up what a local makes in comparison as helpful, other than to wealth shame those who choose these hotels.

This really didn't need to turn into a money issue. I was simply suggesting a nice place to stay.

These are tourist spots made for tourist money. I don't see how bringing up what a local makes in comparison as helpful, other than to wealth shame those who choose these hotels.

oh, you can wealth shame me any time. We is broke mofo's. This bitch has 3 kids in college. :) Thanks for the plan-B suggestions!

Guest LeonTrotsky
oh, you can wealth shame me any time. We is broke mofo's. This bitch has 3 kids in college. :) Thanks for the plan-B suggestions!

No shade intended towards anyone and no subtext intended in my posting.

Thai luxury places are incredible... just for a whole variety of reasons not for everyone.

though I've only been to Thailand once, here're my ideas:

though you guys live in the South and I live in the desert, be ready for stifling humidity....shirts soaked within minutes.....

wear no less than a short-sleeve shirt and long pants to the temples.....a travel companion had only a tank top on and had to rent (very cheap) a shoulder wrap.....just to be respectful and all that

Pattaya, to me, was exceedingly depressing.....ok beach, but just a noisy crowded city riding on its fading rep as a sex capital of the world.....hustlers try to pull you in to their sex shows, which, by the way, seem highly scripted and seem to lack any excitement.....travel companion and I took a bus out there from BKK (very cheap) and that was the highlight because we got to see the countryside.....but I got to see the place and that was ok.....I do remember an extremely good-looking Thai "tourist cop" taking a selfie of himself as he patrolled the red-light district.....

the suggestions to avoid Phuket may be valid, unless you heave your heart set on it because you've "heard" it's the place to be....I found the landscape/vegetation of the island in general to be dull and scrubby.....the west-facing beaches are, admittedly, home to fantastic sunsets if there are some big cumulus clouds out there.....as mentioned upthread, the geography of the island is such that it isn't easy to hop in a cab and go off somewhere....destinations are just far enough from each other that transport is not cheap (and the cabbies know they have a wealthy captive audience)....most tourists go there to just sit on the beach, I think, and don't hop around all day to the sights......I will say that the big nightlife party area on Phuket, Bangla Street in Patong, was very fun and didn't feel as sad and sleazy as the similar area in Pattaya......

we had a good time in Chiang Mai and really liked the relative quiet compared to BKK.....had a great foot massage there and companion and I stayed in a nice little local guest house as suggested by a former (??!!) forum member......great historic area and river.....went to a Muay Thai fight which was a bit touristy, but fun.....

if you get a full "massage", you'll be required to take a shower first in the private room and the required tip is nearly the price of the massage (but still incredibly cheap)......talk to the manager, who will probably speak English, for details.....

local flights are cheap, usually......drink bottled water and don't forget that that glass full of ice in your drink was once tap water!......

though I've only been to Thailand once, here're my ideas:

though you guys live in the South and I live in the desert, be ready for stifling humidity....shirts soaked within minutes.....

wear no less than a short-sleeve shirt and long pants to the temples.....a travel companion had only a tank top on and had to rent (very cheap) a shoulder wrap.....just to be respectful and all that

Pattaya, to me, was exceedingly depressing.....ok beach, but just a noisy crowded city riding on its fading rep as a sex capital of the world.....hustlers try to pull you in to their sex shows, which, by the way, seem highly scripted and seem to lack any excitement.....travel companion and I took a bus out there from BKK (very cheap) and that was the highlight because we got to see the countryside.....but I got to see the place and that was ok.....I do remember an extremely good-looking Thai "tourist cop" taking a selfie of himself as he patrolled the red-light district.....

the suggestions to avoid Phuket may be valid, unless you heave your heart set on it because you've "heard" it's the place to be....I found the landscape/vegetation of the island in general to be dull and scrubby.....the west-facing beaches are, admittedly, home to fantastic sunsets if there are some big cumulus clouds out there.....as mentioned upthread, the geography of the island is such that it isn't easy to hop in a cab and go off somewhere....destinations are just far enough from each other that transport is not cheap (and the cabbies know they have a wealthy captive audience)....most tourists go there to just sit on the beach, I think, and don't hop around all day to the sights......I will say that the big nightlife party area on Phuket, Bangla Street in Patong, was very fun and didn't feel as sad and sleazy as the similar area in Pattaya......

we had a good time in Chiang Mai and really liked the relative quiet compared to BKK.....had a great foot massage there and companion and I stayed in a nice little local guest house as suggested by a former (??!!) forum member......great historic area and river.....went to a Muay Thai fight which was a bit touristy, but fun.....

if you get a full "massage", you'll be required to take a shower first in the private room and the required tip is nearly the price of the massage (but still incredibly cheap)......talk to the manager, who will probably speak English, for details.....

local flights are cheap, usually......drink bottled water and don't forget that that glass full of ice in your drink was once tap water!......

Very much appreciated. The tips are helpful and reinforce what I've been reading, so thanks. We are definitely beach people, so maybe Phuket isn't all bad? Probably depends on the area you choose. Is there a "gay" beach area more than another? We will stick to the coastal parts, although Chiang Mai sounds really cool. Doing more research now, but definitely will do Kho Samui.

Very much appreciated. The tips are helpful and reinforce what I've been reading, so thanks. We are definitely beach people, so maybe Phuket isn't all bad? Probably depends on the area you choose. Is there a "gay" beach area more than another? We will stick to the coastal parts, although Chiang Mai sounds really cool. Doing more research now, but definitely will do Kho Samui.

Boys - I fear you may be getting overloaded with recommendations but this link may be useful. I have found it so in the past.

https://www.travelgay.com/destination/gay-thailand/gay-phuket/

Guest LeonTrotsky
Thanks! I've been using that one. It's very good. :)

this thread has turned out great

so, navigate through all the information here and if you want some additional practical advice, please ask away -- stuff like how do i get from the airport? how do i pay for....?? how do i order a beer? -- anything at all and i am happy to help to welcome you to our wonderful country.

shiroatgym.jpg

this thread has turned out great

so, navigate through all the information here and if you want some additional practical advice, please ask away -- stuff like how do i get from the airport? how do i pay for....?? how do i order a beer? -- anything at all and i am happy to help to welcome you to our wonderful country.

shiroatgym.jpg

Much appreciated, sexy. Looking great!

Another question...what about Krabi? How's the scene there? Looks beautiful in photos and the reviews seem good from what I can tell so far.

Guest LeonTrotsky
Much appreciated, sexy. Looking great!

Another question...what about Krabi? How's the scene there? Looks beautiful in photos and the reviews seem good from what I can tell so far.

Thanks, guys!

I've been to Krabi many times and, to be honest, it is a nice place for a quiet time away. I have stayed at a hotel on Aonang beach; it is family-friendly and I'd describe it as demure. However, it is best to do your swimming at various beaches on the off-shore islands , many of which are beautiful. The main resort in Krabi is Ao Nang, There are about 10 girlie gogo bars and no gay scene at all.

Samui has a bit of a gay scene, mostly centered around Chaweng. A bar or two, a couple of massage places. But I think people who go there hoping for a robust gay scene are disappointed. Samui has some nice beaches and other things to do, but it's not as pretty as Krabi. And like anywhere else there are parts utterly lacking in charm. There are nice places to go and get away from it all on nearby Koh Phangan and tiny Koh Tao ("Murder Island"). There used to be a gay-ish bar with a ladyboy show on Koh Tao, but I don't know if it's still there. Also some decent SCUBA opportunities off of Koh Tao.

Krabi's clientèle is rather different to that of Pattaya or Phuket; honeymooners, couples, families. Little gay-presence (my then boyfriend and I play "spot the gay" when we go for dinner) and few singles.

Edited by LeonTrotsky

Thanks, guys!

I've been to Krabi many times and, to be honest, it is a nice place for a quiet time away. I have stayed at a hotel on Aonang beach; it is family-friendly and I'd describe it as demure. However, it is best to do your swimming at various beaches on the off-shore islands , many of which are beautiful. The main resort in Krabi is Ao Nang, There are about 10 girlie gogo bars and no gay scene at all.

Samui has a bit of a gay scene, mostly centered around Chaweng. A bar or two, a couple of massage places. But I think people who go there hoping for a robust gay scene are disappointed. Samui has some nice beaches and other things to do, but it's not as pretty as Krabi. And like anywhere else there are parts utterly lacking in charm. There are nice places to go and get away from it all on nearby Koh Phangan and tiny Koh Tao ("Murder Island"). There used to be a gay-ish bar with a ladyboy show on Koh Tao, but I don't know if it's still there. Also some decent SCUBA opportunities off of Koh Tao.

Krabi's clientèle is rather different to that of Pattaya or Phuket; honeymooners, couples, families. Little gay-presence (my then boyfriend and I play "spot the gay" when we go for dinner) and few singles.

Awesome! So many opportunities and we can't do them all. The decision making is tough!!

Guest LeonTrotsky
Awesome! So many opportunities and we can't do them all. The decision making is tough!!

Be realistic about how much you try to do and remember Thailand is still third world.... not everything is perfect. Leave yourself time to go with its flow.