Houston, TX resturants

johnjohn
This topic is 1547 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Check with your hotel if Pappasito's is still good. They should be, based on their long history and following. Tex Mex. Several restaurants all over now. They were good, and just a few restaurants when I lived there in the 80's, and ate at the one on Richmond and Hillcroft many times. Was back in Houston a few years ago, and ate at the one on Richmond and Kirby. Very good.

I haven't lived in Houston since 1993. A lot of places I used to go to have closed-imagine that. But look up ---

1. Goode Company Restaurants. They have Tex-Mex, BBQ, and seafood (NOTE: I'm not a seafood eater. So I can't comment on that type of restaurant.) Look for the locations on Kirby. There are several.

2. Most anything by the Pappas Family should probably be good (@bashful recommended Pappasito's. But there are other restaurants from the Pappas family too-their steakhouse is expensive, but supposed to be very good.)

3. A famed Tex-Mex Restaurant in Houston is Ninfa's. The original is on Navigation. It's downtown. Not a good place probably at night. But a great place for lunch.

4. Becks Prime is a hamburger place. It was very good back in the day. I believe the original location was on Kirby. It originally was basically a walk-up with patio seating. I think you they've enlarged it, and enclosed it.

5. Look up one of the locations of Star Pizza. I went to the original on 2111 Norfolk St.

6. There was a Thai restaurant I enjoyed called Morningside Thai.

7. If you like Vietnamese or Chinese food, there's a place called Kim Son. I'm looking at the locations. I'm looking for the original. Unfortunately I've probably been back to Houston less than 10 times since I left in 2003 And the last time was in 2009. So even though I lived there from 1985 to 1989-had a 6 month break in Cincinnati- and moved back to Houston from 1990 to 1993, the memories are dim. I'm pretty sure the original and the one I ate at was the one on Jefferson. But looking at the pictures online, my vague memories tell me they've either torn down the original building or greatly expanded it.

I looked up a few other places that I remembered on Yelp. Several had closed?. And the others were only voted 3 stars. So I won't suggest them. Of the places that I remember, these are probably the best.

Bon Appetit!!

Gman

Oh another restaurant -it's a chain-but a more expensive one-Houston's. I love the Hawaiian. It's a rib eye-marinated in pineapple-soy-ginger marinade. It's delicious. (And according to their website

$40). Their house salad years ago had a hard-boiled egg in it along with bacon bits (don't tell my rabbi). It was delicious with their thousand island dressing.

As to places I'm sorry you will miss (as they are now only memories).

1. Fred's Italian Corner-a great little strip mall Italian place. I loved their meatball sandwiches.

2. The Strawberry Patch. Pappas Steakhouse took it over. It had a mean chicken teriyaki. And they would bring by a bread basket with these delicious yeast rolls and blueberry muffins.

3. UNO's pizzeria at one time had a lot of restaurants outside of Chicago. I don't know what they did for most of them to fail as I always found their pizzas excellent in Houston, Dallas, Madison, and Cincinnati.

4. Two Pesos. It was a drive thru Tex-Mex place open 24 hours with small indoor seating and expansive patio seating. The buildings were stucco coated and painted a bright blue. They had apparently stolen the idea from a still extant restaurant chain called Taco Cabana. The original buildings looked almost exactly the same. But Taco Cabana's were painted bright pink. They also had almost three same menu. Taco Cabana sued Two Pesos-and won. Who knew that blatantly copying a restaurant but changing the building color would cause you to lose a court case? Two Peso's after that had to put up a sign saying we copied Taco Cabana and lost. They also had to pay a big fine. Taco Cabana ended up buying them out and either converted them to Taco Cabanas or closed them. Since then the Taco Cabana chain has changed hands many, many times. I don't think most of them are even open 24 hours anymore. But they were great for late/night early morning fajitas after leaving the bars at 2 AM.

5. The Ocean Club. It wasn't really a restaurant. It was a dance club/bar. I thought it was cool. I couldn't dance but I was skinny enough back in 1985 and 1986 that I could actually wear white jeans without looking stupid. So on Tuesdays it had a $5 all you could eat buffet/happy hour. I don't remember what they served. But my college friends and I thought it was delicious.

6. Dirty's-It was a chicken fried steak place. They probably had a few other things on the menu. But I mainly had the chicken fried steak. They were HUGE!! I'd order their salad too. It was a basic green salad. They mainly had ranch dressing and possibly oil and vinegar. It was a no frills place. But I loved it.

I could probably think of some more if I gave it some thought. But it's late.

Gman

Another vote here for Goode Company BBQ on Kirby. Look for the giant armadillo outside!

A great Jewish deli is Kenny and Ziggy’s. There are two locations. The original on Post Oak (close to The Galleria Mall) and a newer and smaller location on Buffalo Speedway. Expect high-quality deli fare.

https://www.kennyandziggys.com/

You just reminded me. Alfred's Deli off of Bissonet and Post Oak closed years ago.

Gman

• 3 weeks later...