Hello Darkness My Old Friend-But Maybe Not

Gar1eth
This topic is 1569 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My night vision is supposed to be fine. But for years now I've had trouble seeing the edges of medians when I'm making a left turn even if there's a light on the median. And forget me being able to see it well if it's unlighted, or there's fog/rain. Anyone out there in Message Center Land with the same problem?

Also Is there anyone with city planning experience out there that knows why they don't put some kind of reflective strip along the edges of medians?

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

One of the contributing factors in my deciding to have cataract surgery was that the glare of oncoming traffic made it very difficult to see the edges of medians, and the HMO (Kaiser, N. California) provided Opthalomologist agreed.

it's better now; I'm not saying that you necessarily have to have cataract surgery because of that, but it's one thing you could bring up the next time you talk with an MD eye doctor.

(My eyeglass prescription had also suddenly gotten stronger after not needing any change for 10 years; from 7.5 to 10 diopters, and even when corrected eyesight was barely 20/50).

One of the contributing factors in my deciding to have cataract surgery was that the glare of oncoming traffic made it very difficult to see the edges of medians, and the HMO (Kaiser, N. California) provided Opthalomologist agreed.

it's better now; I'm not saying that you necessarily have to have cataract surgery because of that, but it's one thing you could bring up the next time you talk with an MD eye doctor.

(My eyeglass prescription had also suddenly gotten stronger after not needing any change for 10 years; from 7.5 to 10 diopters, and even when corrected eyesight was barely 20/50).

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually had two eye exams last year-by two different doctors. While they say I may have some cataract formation-one optometrist said something like, "Young peoples' lenses are totally clear. Your lens while not totally clear is normal for your age." The other optometrist also did not seem to think I had anything to worry about as she didn't mention anything worrisome.

Gman

My night vision is supposed to be fine. But for years now I've had trouble seeing the edges of medians when I'm making a left turn even if there's a light on the median. And forget me being able to see it well if it's unlighted, or there's fog/rain. Anyone out there in Message Center Land with the same problem?

Also Is there anyone with city planning experience out there that knows why they don't put some kind of reflective strip along the edges of medians?

Gman

I have had trouble seeing when driving at night for many years, but it doesn't show up on any tests.

Well on one hand I agree with you. But I still think even your averagely trained optometrist can tell how bad a cataract is.

Plus I can see. I just have trouble with the edges of medians.

Gman

The ophthalmological exam that confirmed my pituitary adenoma took over 3 hours, a visual field test, and a fundus study before the MRI. When I thanked the Professor with an MD & PhD, he responded, “Anyone who looked in your eyes could have seen how pale the nerve was and should have suspected tumor. ANYONE!” I had a full ophthalmological exam 3 months prior, and Optometrists exams every 3 years for the previous 17 years but NO ONE ELSE NOTICED!

Optometrists measure your vision for corrective lenses.

A good Ophthalmologist will examine your eyes, optic nerves and how your brain responds to what your eyes see.

• 2 weeks later...
The ophthalmological exam that confirmed my pituitary adenoma took over 3 hours, a visual field test, and a fundus study before the MRI. When I thanked the Professor with an MD & PhD, he responded, “Anyone who looked in your eyes could have seen how pale the nerve was and should have suspected tumor. ANYONE!” I had a full ophthalmological exam 3 months prior, and Optometrists exams every 3 years for the previous 17 years but NO ONE ELSE NOTICED!

Optometrists measure your vision for corrective lenses.

A good Ophthalmologist will examine your eyes, optic nerves and how your brain responds to what your eyes see.

That is very good advice. I never knew that.