Jump to content

Please check out the Politics forum


Guest zipperzone
This topic is 5552 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recommended Posts

Guest zipperzone

I am posting this to remind you that there is a topic in the Politics forum (which is less widely read that the Lounge) that should be read by as many people as possible. It is a speech given by the Mayor of Salt Lake City that Tom Isern was good enough to bring to out attention.

 

Please fo not miss it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest ncm2169

READ and Forward to your friends. Rocky Anderson is fuckin awesome and is not afraid to speak the truth to power. Unfortunately, King W is deaf when he's told he wears no clothes. x(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quite a speech....I just hope this hasn't been morphed into something he really didn't say as it spread across cyberspace....

 

I think Anderson has a good standing in Salt Lake, despite the city's conservative reputation...in fact, SLC proper now has a majority population of non-LDS church members or believers...I think he once attended a gay pride parade in the city...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a good speech, but I fail to understand all the hullabaloo here. So many voices have risen up to say the same thing, why does this one resonate with you? Isn't it a little late, or is it a case of better late than never? And what influence does the mayor of Salt Lake City have on these things anyway? Read it, for sure, but writing a letter to your senator or congressperson might be a more worthwhile way to spend your time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest zipperzone

Lucky: I think it is important because to the best of my knowledge it is the first time a mayor of a major city has been so bold. Will it help? Who knows. But as I stated in the politics forum, it might just be what is needed to start a ground swell with other mayors joining in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>quite a speech....I just hope this hasn't been morphed into something he really didn't say as it spread across cyberspace....

 

Nope, as someone who lives in Utah I can confirm that the speech is real and similar to others that he's given. He's not afraid to speak out on issues.

 

>I think Anderson has a good standing in Salt Lake... I think he once attended a gay pride parade in the city...

 

He is a "regular" at the annual gay pride celebration. He's even been grand marshal of the parade. Rocky's received numerous awards from the GLBT community for his support and efforts on our behalf.

 

But, as far as his good standing, many people (including me) view him as a nut job. He's been through at least 20 communication directors during his term in office. The turnover rate among his other staff is the highest I've ever seen. He has reputation as a yeller and screamer and I've experienced that first hand. The man has serious "anger" issues.

 

He's also done some things that have either cost the taxpayer millions of dollars or are just plain weird. For example:

 

[li]He brokered a deal with the Mormon Church to sell them one block of Main Street. Yes, I literally mean the paved street we used to be able to drive on. The Mormon Church closed it off to traffic has turned it into an extension of Temple Square. Who the hell sells Main Street to a church?!?!?

 

[li]He stone-walled the building of Legacy Highway (an alternative freeway to relieve congestion) in a neighboring county. This 7-year delay cost the state millions of dollars in land acquisition costs, construction delay claims, and has snarled traffic. Who knows how many people have been killed in accidents due to that over-crowded freeway.

 

[li]Rocky also opposes a sky bridge across Main Street to connect the two new malls that are currently being built. He even went so far as to try and sell the air space above Main Street to environmental groups. Who the hell tries to sell air space above a street?!?!?

 

[li]Anderson told the people in Davis County that he didn't want them driving into "his" city to work or shop. He basically said that if we don't live in Salt Lake City we're not welcome to work or spend our money there. Because of him I've refused to shop in SLC and don't want him to get a penny of my sales tax money. [/li]

 

Rocky Anderson IS truly a friend to the GLBT community. But his relationship with the "common" person is so non-existent that he's given little credibility or respect.

 

We've had conventions cancel and switch cities over his stand on things. People have booed him and walked out of meetings when he's shown up.

 

And all this in his city where over 600 people this week were arrested for drug sales in a downtown park. That's the same park that has shootings, stabbings, and beatings on a daily basis. Thank goodness the Guardian Angels have shown up because Rocky Anderson hasn't been able to solve the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspected that the good mayor was doing a bit of grandstanding here, since he has no more influence over these events than I do. But given the reverence with which his remarks were received, I hesitated to say so outright. Now I do! Which leads back to my original question: Why do these remarks resonate with you over all of the other people who have called for much of the same? If you follow the news, you know that Rocky has not taken the lead here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>I suspected that the good mayor was doing a bit of grandstanding here...

 

BINGO!!! I totally agree with you.

 

I don't doubt for a minute that he believes everything he said in the speech. I think diversity is good and I'm glad there are people willing to voice opposition to current conditions.

 

However, I can't help but wonder if he has a hidden agenda.

 

[li]Is trying to build a name for himself so he can become a political appointee when the Democrats take office?

 

[li]As a former lawyer for the ACLU, is he bucking for a position with them?

 

[li]Is he planning to set up a non-profit organization and is he trolling for supporters?[/li]

 

He's a very deliberate and calculating person. I just wish I knew the real reason he's trying to stir up the masses. There's got to be something in it for him.

 

>Why do these remarks resonate with you over all of the other people who have called for much of the same? If you follow the news, you know that Rocky has not taken the lead here.

 

Excellent questions that deserve an answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest zipperzone

>[li]He brokered a deal with the Mormon Church to sell them one

>block of Main Street. Yes, I literally mean the paved street

>we used to be able to drive on. The Mormon Church closed it

>off to traffic has turned it into an extension of Temple

>Square. Who the hell sells Main Street to a church?!?!?

 

How the hell can that be legal? How could the title be conveyed? Would the whole city council not have to sign off on the deal?

 

>[li]Anderson told the people in Davis County that he didn't

>want them driving into "his" city to work or shop. He

>basically said that if we don't live in Salt Lake City we're

>not welcome to work or spend our money there. Because of him

>I've refused to shop in SLC and don't want him to get a penny

>of my sales tax money. [/li]

 

By refusing to avail yourself of the city services and merchants, haven't you more of less let him win? It sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

 

He sure does sound like a nut job. But I still give the guy credit for telling B & C like it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest zipperzone

>Which leads back to my original question: Why do these

>remarks resonate with you over all of the other people who

>have called for much of the same? If you follow the news, you

>know that Rocky has not taken the lead here.

 

I don't recall hearing other civic leaders being quite this detailed or as blunt as he is. The more people speak out the better the likihood (although slim) that something might change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>How the hell can that be legal? How could the title be conveyed? Would the whole city council not have to sign off on the deal?

 

The city council (mostly Mormon) supported the sale of Main Street. A court case was filed but settled out-of-court when the Mormon Church donated land for an "at risk" center for kids. They also raised funds to build the center.

 

>By refusing to avail yourself of the city services and merchants, haven't you more of less let him win? It sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

 

I don't live in Salt Lake City so I receive no services from them. As for merchants, Salt Lake City isn't the only place in Utah to shop. It's often more convenient but I'll either do without or find it elsewhere. When Rocky Anderson kisses my ass on Temple Square I'll reconsider doing business in "his" city.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...