Calling Miss Manners...

This topic is 1592 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I travel to Europe quite often and do speak Spanish/French and English. When I'm with friends in Paris or Spain I speak their language. It should never be embarrassing to be able to converse in more than one language. Most Americans don't have the chance to learn a foreign tongue. I grew up in a Russian speaking home..but never have the chance to practice.

Edited by thickornotatall

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel to Europe quite often and do speak Spanish/French and English. When I'm with friends in Paris or Spain I speak their language. It should never be embarrassing to be able to converse in more than one language. Most Americans don't have the chance to learn are foreign tongue. I grew up in a Russian speaking home..but never have the chance to practice.

My parents were immigrants. Neither spoke a word of English when they arrived. When speaking to us kids, it was always English, but when speaking with their friends, and the sole relative also living nearby, they would sometimes speak their first language. I just figured they didn't want us kids to know what they were saying.