Dumbledore is Gay!!!!

Guest ReturnOfS
This topic is 6023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ReturnOfS

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/general/2007/10/20/Books.Harry.Potter/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=488718&in_page_id=1773

http://news.scotsman.com/arts.cfm?id=1675752007

Author J. K. Rowling signs a copy of her book "Harry Potter and the Deathly ...

By HILLEL ITALIE, AP

Harry Potter fans, the rumors are true: Albus Dumbledore, master wizard and Headmaster of Hogwarts, is gay. J.K. Rowling, author of the mega-selling fantasy series that ended last summer, outed the beloved character Friday night while appearing before a full house at Carnegie Hall.

After reading briefly from the final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," she took questions from audience members.

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love."

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

Potter readers on fan sites and elsewhere on the Internet have speculated on the sexuality of Dumbledore, noting that he has no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past. And explicit scenes with Dumbledore already have appeared in fan fiction.

Rowling told the audience that while working on the planned sixth Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," she spotted a reference in the script to a girl who once was of interest to Dumbledore. A note was duly passed to director David Yates, revealing the truth about her character.

Rowling, finishing a brief "Open Book Tour" of the United States, her first tour here since 2000, also said that she regarded her Potter books as a "prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority."

Not everyone likes her work, Rowling said, likely referring to Christian groups that have alleged the books promote witchcraft. Her news about Dumbledore, she said, will give them one more reason.

Guest ReturnOfS

Michael Gambon, who plays Dumbledore in the movies now, is a good replacement for Richard Harris, the actor who played Dumbledore until he died. I've always wished that Ian McKellen couldn't have played Dumbledore after RIchard Harris's death though. I wish that even more now since we find out that Dumbledore is gay. Oh well.

I've read the final book and I can see the relationship that Rowlings was talking about between Dumbledore and that wizard from his past. The way it was written, it could have gone either way, though. It can definitely be read is just a really strong friendship.

Now I'm just waiting for the "Dumbledore laves Harry Potter" jokes :+

>After reading briefly from the final book, "Harry Potter and

>the Deathly Hallows," she took questions from audience

>members.

>

>She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true

>love."

>

>"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and

>applause.

>

>She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival

>Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle

>between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to

>an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that

>Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

>

>Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

>

I find it curious that her answer to the question: Does Dumbledore find his "true love"? is: Dumbledore is gay.

I realize that she goes on to explain the nature of his previous relationship but the answer Dumbledore is gay is non-sponsive as some legal types say on TV. I also find it insulting in that one might infer from that answer that someone who is gay could not find a fulfilling true love relationship. For someone who has made billions from words, Ms. Rowling should be able to use them more clearly.

Guest ReturnOfS

>>After reading briefly from the final book, "Harry Potter

>and

>>the Deathly Hallows," she took questions from audience

>>members.

>>

>>She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds

>"true

>>love."

>>

>>"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and

>>applause.

>>

>>She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival

>>Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle

>>between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us

>to

>>an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding

>that

>>Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

>>

>>Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

>>

>I find it curious that her answer to the question: Does

>Dumbledore find his "true love"? is: Dumbledore is gay.

>I realize that she goes on to explain the nature of his

>previous relationship but the answer Dumbledore is gay is

>non-sponsive as some legal types say on TV. I also find it

>insulting in that one might infer from that answer that

>someone who is gay could not find a fulfilling true love

>relationship. For someone who has made billions from words,

>Ms. Rowling should be able to use them more clearly.

Have you read the books, especially the last one?

Guest TorontoJared

That's great!! YAY for Dumbledore!! I do wish that she'd been more obvious about it in the books but it is nice that she is saying it now. I grew up with these books and have enjoyed reading them. She's an excellent author. I'm curious as to what she'll write next.

Archived