Akhnaten

foxy
This topic is 1556 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m looking forward to seeing this Saturday December 7. I believe it’s the last performance. From what I’ve seen and read about the opera it looks to be a stunning production. Reviews have been generally great. Looking forward to the jugglers. The score from what I’ve heard sounds astounding. Wondering if any others here have seen it and what they thought?

The opera yesterday was wonderful. Anthony Roth Costanzo who sings the lead role of Akhnaten has received quite a bit of press. Almost every article has discussed his 5 minute nude scene as he makes his entrance. I’m sure there were quite a few people yesterday who picked up their opera glasses at that point. I admit I did. He’s a countertenor which is not everyone’s favorite but I’ve come to enjoy the sound. But roles for that voice are somewhat limited so he’s been involved in many projects beyond singing. A very interesting guy and he’s openly gay which is a plus in my book. There are a number of interviews with him on YouTube worth watching.

FWIW for the live in HD broadcast last Saturday of Akhnaten ARC was diapered for his entrance. Although the Met shared production of Akhnaten with several other companies, I hope it has the right to add it to its on demand library.

Although @foxy is correct about the popularity of the countertenor sound, ARC’ innate musicality together with that of N’Jai Bridges, his Nefertiti and the rest of the cast made this a compelling production. And their slow motion smooch was right up there with the Venusberg scene in Tannhäuser in eroticism.

I listened to the live broadcast on WQXR here in NYC Saturday afternoon and the music blew me away.

Friends who also listened agreed it was thrilling.

Alas, it was the very last live performance of the season and a huge sold-out hit for the Met.

But the good news is that the Met has rescheduled this opera for the season after next, so they'll be another chance to see it.

I look forward to seeing it live....so perhaps an encore movie theater performance from Met Opera Live.

Also waiting to see countertenor Jacob Josef Orlinski in concert but no USA scheduled performances.

Philippe Jaroussky, about whom I know because I was looking for YouTube performances of "Pur ti miro" from Monteverdi's The Coronation of Poppea, is also gay.

He also turned an erstwhile non-opera-lover into an opera lover with this aria:

Not to mention the eye candy Jean-Christophe Spinosi has assembled, including himself. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.png

(Sorry for the highjack.)

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine caught a 1982 performance of A. by ? Dallas opera. It was amazing. I eventually bought it for him on Vinyl, THEN ON CD.

I’ve seen it live (in person) twice: Once with Boston conservatory, and I forget who the other performance was.

It’s a spectacular opera.

SPOILER

Watch the choreography when the Priest describes the site of the Temple (Act II), and compare it to the Guide in Act III

• 5 weeks later...