Less by Andrew Sean Greer 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction

E.T.Bass

Not everyone likes this book, Less by Andrew Sean Greer, but I did. Finished it today.

It did win the Pulitzer Prize for fiction, so does have some strengths. :)

Interesting how the world has evolved, giving a Pulitzer to a book about a gay character.

Here is one of several articles one can find on the internet.

The Pulitzer Prize Winning Novel 'Less' By Andrew Sean Greer Is Exactly The Book We Need Right Now

a8668bd3-f163-45c9-81b1-1153908895ea-less.jpg?w=646&fit=max&auto=format&q=70

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This has been on my reading pile for 2 years, I'd pick it up and read a few pages, and then put it down again. Finally, committed (because someone sent me a galley copy of the sequel...which came out last Fall) and greatly enjoyed it. Beautiful writing, and interesting recognizable character, who isn't totally likable, which I love. The surrounding characters are so great, and I have had so many of the same experiences...not travel, but just interactions. I sent my copy this morning to one friend and ordered one from Amazon to be sent to another.

Edited by skynyc

On 1/28/2023 at 6:28 AM, skynyc said:

This has been on my reading pile for 2 years, I'd pick it up and read a few pages, and then put it down again. Finally, committed (because someone sent me a galley copy of the sequel...which came out last Fall) and greatly enjoyed it

May I ask why you were hesitant to read it?

On 1/30/2023 at 12:37 PM, Rod Hagen said:

May I ask why you were hesitant to read it?

Not that I was necessarily hesitant, but I read quite a lot and have several books going at once, and when I'd read a couple pages, if they didn't catch my mood of the moment, I'd save it for later. When I finally was in the mood for Arthur Less, I devoured him in three days. LOL. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Njguy2 said:

Have this book and its a slow read for me which is unusual.  I'll finish it;  doubtful if the sequel will hold any interest but maybe the twist that @keroscenefire has eluded to may change my mind.  Glad others have enjoyed it.

Interesting that you thought it slow. I kinda liked that each new travel location was kinda its own section. It sort of held my attention more than if it was more straightforward. The twist isn't super crazy but it is a nice cap to the story.

• 6 months later...
On 10/5/2023 at 9:25 AM, Marc in Calif said:

In this forum, one reviewer's so-so response to the book and the rest of them full of praise?

And on Amazon, 83% of reviewers gave it four or five stars?

That's not "divided"!

You're right, I guess I mean out in the world people I talk to, which is my own world so how would you know?? :-)  But also, wasn't there another thread here about this book, or is this the only one?  I might be thinking of somewhere else. 

Anyway, I love it, but I know many people who think it's crap.

7 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

You're right, I guess I mean out in the world people I talk to, which is my own world so how would you know?? 🙂 But also, wasn't there another thread here about this book, or is this the only one?  I might be thinking of somewhere else. 

Anyway, I love it, but I know many people who think it's crap.

The sequel had a pretty divided response as I remember.