Godfrey Gao Dead at Age 35

quoththeraven
This topic is 1605 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The conditions on the reality show on which he was appearing at the time of his death are being brought up as a possible contributing factor. Apparently he was running at the time of his collapse.

http://www.asianjunkie.com/2019/11/27/godfrey-gao-35-passes-away-while-filming-variety-show-chase-me/

Also if he was treated before he died (it's not clear from the reporting at what point his death occurred) it's possible the hospital knows enough to provide a cause of death without an autopsy.

So sad.

A heart attack, if that was the cause, is possible at any age. I had a very brief bout of what I thought was indigestion-literally a pain for a few seconds which then disappeared. It occurred briefly the next day.

I wasn't overly concerned but went to my doctor who put a stethoscope on my chest & to my horror picked up his phone & called an ambulance!

My heart rate was running @ 140 & apart from the 2 bouts of 'indigestion' I had no symptoms at all.

After 5 days in hospital on beta blockers & blood thinners my heart rate returned to normal & a subsequent cardioversion sorted out the irregularity of the heart beat.

Apparently I had a chest infection which had started the whole problem, but without treatment a heart attack was imminent. The medical staff said that many younger deaths from heart attacks occur for similar reasons & with little or no symptoms.

I wear a fit bit now & advise everyone to get checked regularly.

The conditions on the reality show on which he was appearing at the time of his death are being brought up as a possible contributing factor. Apparently he was running at the time of his collapse.

http://www.asianjunkie.com/2019/11/27/godfrey-gao-35-passes-away-while-filming-variety-show-chase-me/

Also if he was treated before he died (it's not clear from the reporting at what point his death occurred) it's possible the hospital knows enough to provide a cause of death without an autopsy.

"Gao suddenly slowed down during a running challenge and fell to the ground unconscious...."

That doesn't sound like a regular heart attack to me. It seems more likely that the death was from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, Brugada syndrome, or long QTc syndrome. Since these conditions are usually inherited, if I were a sibling or child of his, I would want to know. Of course, cocaine or amphetamines could also do it. If I were a sibling or spouse, I'd push for an autopsy, especially if he has children. Collapsing while running shouldn't happen in a fit 35 year-old. Barring illicit drug use, there was probably an underlying heart condition, inherited ones being most common.

Edited by Unicorn

File under "maybe something good will come out of this": filming of the grueling reality show Gao was working on has halted, the management company has been fired, and authorities are taking a look at the unregulated TV and film industry.

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/1004903/the-extreme-work-culture-putting-chinas-celebrities-in-danger

File under "maybe something good will come out of this": filming of the grueling reality show Gao was working on has halted, the management company has been fired, and authorities are taking a look at the unregulated TV and film industry.

Probably an over-reaction. He probably had an inherited heart disease, as I mentioned previously. Brugada syndrome, in particular, is particularly more common in Asian men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugada_syndrome

"Between 1 and 30 per 10,000 people are affected by Brugada syndrome. Although those affected are born with the condition, symptoms typically only begin in adulthood. While the rare cases seen in childhood are equally likely to be male or female, in adulthood symptoms occur more frequently in males than females, potentially due to the higher testosterone levels found in men.

Brugada syndrome is more common in people of Asian descent and is the most common cause of sudden death in young males without known underlying cardiac disease in Thailand and Laos.In these countries Brugada syndrome is likely to be responsible for many cases of sudden unexpected nocturnal death syndrome (SUNDS). Local names vary – in the Philippines the condition has been known as Bangungut meaning "a scream followed by sudden death during sleep", while in Thailand it was known as Lai Tai, and in Japan Pokkuri. Type 1 Brugada ECG patterns are seen more frequently in Asian populations (0%–0.36%) than those in Europe (0%–0.25%) and the United States (0.03%). Similarly, Type 2 and Type 3 ECG patterns are more prevalent in Asia (0.12%–2.23%) than in Europe (0.0%–0.6%) or the United States (0.02%)"

Probably an over-reaction. He probably had an inherited heart disease, as I mentioned previously. Brugada syndrome, in particular, is particularly more common in Asian men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugada_syndrome

"Between 1 and 30 per 10,000 people are affected by Brugada syndrome. Although those affected are born with the condition, symptoms typically only begin in adulthood. While the rare cases seen in childhood are equally likely to be male or female, in adulthood symptoms occur more frequently in males than females, potentially due to the higher testosterone levels found in men.

Brugada syndrome is more common in people of Asian descent and is the most common cause of sudden death in young males without known underlying cardiac disease in Thailand and Laos.In these countries Brugada syndrome is likely to be responsible for many cases of sudden unexpected nocturnal death syndrome (SUNDS). Local names vary – in the Philippines the condition has been known as Bangungut meaning "a scream followed by sudden death during sleep", while in Thailand it was known as Lai Tai, and in Japan Pokkuri. Type 1 Brugada ECG patterns are seen more frequently in Asian populations (0%–0.36%) than those in Europe (0%–0.25%) and the United States (0.03%). Similarly, Type 2 and Type 3 ECG patterns are more prevalent in Asia (0.12%–2.23%) than in Europe (0.0%–0.6%) or the United States (0.02%)"

So what? Are you saying unregulated work conditions on little to no rest such as those described in the article are a good thing?

So what? Are you saying unregulated work conditions on little to no rest such as those described in the article are a good thing?

No, I don't know anything about the conditions on that set. It's quite possible the conditions were inhumane. However, what I was trying to say was that the cause of death was probably a genetic heart problem, and that his death should not be the reason for changing conditions. It could be that there are other good reasons to change the conditions.