Ken Burns "The War" series

Guest RandyRon
This topic is 6049 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest RandyRon

If it's been discussed, I've missed it but I have watched all of the Ken Burns series "The War" on PBS. Maybe I'm the only one on here that finds this interesting. Although I was only about six when the war ended, I do remember some of it. I especially remember when my older brother came home. I didn't remember him so I hid when this stranger in a uniform came in and everyone was celebrating.

Ken Burns has captured this era perfectly. The idea of concentrating on only four U.S. towns rather than the whole country brings a major turning point for the U.S. into focus and makes it something we can grasp. I've also been amazed by the ability of the ordinary people to articulate what happened and how they felt emotionally. I've seen several of the chapters more than once but I still think I'll buy the DVD and watch it all over again.

Anyone else been watching?

I watched several hours and was equally impressed. At first I was curious and a little concerned about how Ken Burns could possibly present "The War" in a way which would convey its scope and effects and still bring it to a personal level. He did it magnificently. By selecting four geographically, economically and socially diverse places in the US we were made to feel part of the real history of the war.

I'll definitely watch it again when it is repeated. The editing, cinematography and musical score also are superb. Some of the best television I've seen in years.

I have seen portions of the show but am waiting for them to either run a marathon or for the DVD to come out. Ken Burns' documentaries carry a strong emotional punch usually as a result of contasting big events with individual reactions to them. Part of the episode I saw

highlighted the differing reactions to the atomic bombing of Japan.

I have heard Burns say that he was prompted to do this special as a result of a finding that many US students thought that in World War II, the US fought with Germany against Russia. Unfortunately, these are probably not the people watching this program as it is probably running in competition again America's Next Top Model or the Jerry Springer show.

Archived