Grindr-Location, Location, Location, Location

Gar1eth
This topic is 1663 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On Grindr guys can send you their location (or vice versatile). When they do this; I can see the general area where they are. But I can't go from that to a GPS App to get to the actual address of where they are. Am I doing something wrong, or am I correct in Grindr only giving you a general location without a specific address?

Also when I look at the location, I see a dot on there for my general location. Can the sender see my location if they close up to the location picture?

Gman

On Grindr guys can send you their location (or vice versatile).

This might be a deliberate pun, but the fact that there’s a good probability of it being your autocorrect carrying out further your spelling of “versa” as “versatile,” perhaps owing to copious amounts of texts using the latter word, is as equally entertaining.

On Grindr guys can send you their location (or vice versatile). When they do this; I can see the general area where they are. But I can't go from that to a GPS App to get to the actual address of where they are. Am I doing something wrong, or am I correct in Grindr only giving you a general location without a specific address?

You are not doing anything wrong, and you are correct.

Also when I look at the location, I see a dot on there for my general location. Can the sender see my location if they close up to the location picture?

Gman

No, they cannot see your location unless you send it to them. Similarly, even if you’ve sent yours, you cannot see theirs unless they do likewise.

Actually, it’s fairly bothersome when rather than vouchsafe their precise address, they will only send their location via the Grindr feature — as many are wont to do for whatever reason. One time I spent nearly twenty minutes walking around in the general vicinity of one person’s place and was so annoyed that I almost left, having said “Just give me your address” multiple times, but he implored, “No I’ll come find you!” (He did.) He actually wanted me to come back to his place again after that encounter, but I declined (not only was I irked the first time — he also sucked at sucking — but I digress). Some friends have groused about this too. I think perhaps they think that you won’t remember their address if they don’t put it in writing for you. One of the times that I did get the address, I arrived at the guy’s building and asked, on Grindr, which apartment was his. He replied, “I’ll come get you,” even though it was clear that people could enter the building without the aegis of one of its occupants. I guessed that maybe he didn’t want his apartment number written out for fear that his paramours would more easily recall it. *shrug*

On Grindr guys can send you their location (or vice versatile).

Gman

This might be a deliberate pun, but the fact that there’s a good probability of it being your autocorrect carrying out further your spelling of “versa” as “versatile,” perhaps owing to copious amounts of texts using the latter word, is as equally entertaining.

My autocorrect did correct "versa" to "versatile." I noticed it right before I posted. I decided to keep the error to see if anyone noticed. ?

Gman

Guest pecluvr

It might also be that he wanted to see you in person first in a more public place for verification and/or safety concerns before having you into his home.

Just as an FYI, Grindr does a pretty good job of locating you using your GPS and they have written into the app a haziness so that it is more difficult to pinpoint someone exactly. But not impossible either. With the right know how it is possible to locate anyone on the site within five feet whether that person wants to broadcast their location or not.

Just as an FYI, Grindr does a pretty good job of locating you using your GPS and they have written into the app a haziness so that it is more difficult to pinpoint someone exactly. But not impossible either. With the right know how it is possible to locate anyone on the site within five feet whether that person wants to broadcast their location or not.

You’re funny. No gps can locate anyone within 5 feet. This is so that hostile military cannot use it to bomb exact targets with that level of precision. Keep trying though maybe someone will believe you.

...or you could, idk, just ask for their physical address? Or a general landmark/restaurant nearby if they don’t want to provide. Unless you’re just being a creep.

I do ask, and they send that stupid Grindr location. That's why I started this thread. People send the Grindr location so often, I was wondering if there was something I was missing in how to translate that into a GPS app.

Gman

I do ask, and they send that stupid Grindr location. That's why I started this thread. People send the Grindr location so often, I was wondering if there was something I was missing in how to translate that into a GPS app.

Gman

Followed by the “text me when you’re here,” I’m sure. It’s for one’s security. That’s all.

Gman

Because it's just a click away....

You can always ask the address if you want as others have said on here, it would be up to them to tell you or not.

You’re funny. No gps can locate anyone within 5 feet. This is so that hostile military cannot use it to bomb exact targets with that level of precision. Keep trying though maybe someone will believe you.

Global Positioning System

During the 1990s, GPS quality was degraded by the United States government in a program called "Selective Availability"; this was discontinued in May 2000 by a law signed by President Bill Clinton.

When selective availability was lifted in 2000, GPS had about a five-meter (16 ft) accuracy. The latest stage of accuracy enhancement uses the L5 band and is now fully deployed. GPS receivers released in 2018 that use the L5 band can have much higher accuracy, pinpointing to within 30 centimetres or 11.8 inches.

Global Positioning System

During the 1990s, GPS quality was degraded by the United States government in a program called "Selective Availability"; this was discontinued in May 2000 by a law signed by President Bill Clinton.

When selective availability was lifted in 2000, GPS had about a five-meter (16 ft) accuracy. The latest stage of accuracy enhancement uses the L5 band and is now fully deployed. GPS receivers released in 2018 that use the L5 band can have much higher accuracy, pinpointing to within 30 centimetres or 11.8 inches.

Good to know! Thanks.