Anxiety and CBD

bostonman
This topic is 1681 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ok - so, full disclosure - I've been dealing with a fairly recent and fairly sudden onset of anxiety lately. (This started in mid-August.) I'm on meds and have started seeing a therapist. It sucks, but I'm doing my best to pull through. I thank god for the incredible support around me including friends, parents, and my students (at first I wasn't going to discuss it with them but I'm glad I did, the support has been overwhelming and wonderful). I'm also fortunate to love my work (I'm a musician for those of you who may not know) - it seems to be good therapy and often, if not always, allows me to take my mind off my problems. I'm generally happiest when I'm working, although every day is its own thing right now. All I can do is trust and hope and keep going, and hang on to the good moments and don't forget them. I haven't been out on this site as much recently, but I'm starting to post more often again. I'm here and I'm trying to live my life as normally as I can. I'll pull through.

I have not mentioned this out here yet, but now I have.

In any case, a friend (someone who has been on this site at times) introduced me to CBD oil as a possible addition to the meds I'm already taking. (My doctor approved it also.) I initially found that it was making me more emotional than maybe I wanted to be, and I stopped regular use after a few days. I've tried it occasionally since and it may be helping a little, at least temporarily, but it's hard to tell. I know it's the "new fad" but people seem to believe in it. I'm wondering if anyone out here has had any experiences with it - has it worked for you?

I’m very sorry to hear you’re facing that difficult condition. I find CBD oil promotes restful sleep and healing. For example, it was part of my recovery regimen after wisdom teeth extraction. Although I’ve had social anxiety in the past, I don’t recall if CDB helped in that area.

I’m not recommending it, but occasional use of LSD was how I overcame the past anxiety.

I've looked into it and it seems it works well in conjunction with some medications and may not with other antidepressants but ur doctor gave u the green light. I do know it can take up to 3 to 6 months to feel the full effect of an antidepressant. It seems u are in good hands. Good luck

I have a very good friend who has been going through a similar situation. He doesn't want to take medication, so he has been trying meditation, therapy and CBD oil, and especially the third has become a very important asset for his daily life.

It helps him a lot!

I hope you will feel better, anxiety is a bitch!

Prior to my 2 recent surgeries, when I was suffering, and wheelchair/bed ridden I registered for medical marijuana program, which also encompasses CBD. I stocked up on capsules, vapes, oils, and even mints to use in conjunction with my regular pain meds. I had read, and heard of people having very good results in lessening or eliminating their pain. Unfortunately, I did not have the same result. After allowing more than enough time for it to build up in my system, I found NO relief using it. Perhaps I was resistant to it, I'm not sure. All it did for me was make me slightly drowsy, but as for the pain or state of mind, it did nothing.

I might add that not all my doctors were onboard with it. Some said I should try it, while others would not recommend it.....

My advise is...TRY IT.... you might be one of the lucky ones it works on. And it CANT hurt.

The one thing that seemed to give me some relief around my anxiety was when I read "Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health concern in the United States. Over 40 million adults in the U.S. (19.1%) have an anxiety disorder." I have not confessed my anxiety to even my physician. Everything I've read about anxiety medications indicate that the side-effects are more invasive than the anxiety. I'm thankful that my anxiety is not so severe that I cannot navigate within society for brief periods.

The one thing that seemed to give me some relief around my anxiety was when I read "Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health concern in the United States. Over 40 million adults in the U.S. (19.1%) have an anxiety disorder." I have not confessed my anxiety to even my physician. Everything I've read about anxiety medications indicate that the side-effects are more invasive than the anxiety. I'm thankful that my anxiety is not so severe that I cannot navigate within society for brief periods.

I have had at least one side effect, which seems to be going away at this point. (I've been joking that I must be going through menopause, as I've been getting something like hot flashes - but as I said, not so much now.) At least it's been nothing more severe. They say that drugs like this can make the anxiety worse before it gets better - I can't say I've noticed that so much, though every day is a new adventure lol. Today went very well, as a matter of fact. I'm sure I'm not anywhere near "cured" yet, and truly don't expect that, but holding on to days like today sure helps.

I will say that I tried a small dose of CBD oil last night, and felt that I slept a bit better than I have been, and didn't have quite the level of anxious jitters that I've tended to have in the mornings lately. Who knows if the CBD actually did anything, but I guess it certainly didn't hurt.

And yes, though it may not be a major comfort that anxiety is so prevalent, it is somewhat reassuring. More reassuring is that I have at least 3 people I know (a student, a musical colleague, and another theatre professional I've done one show with) who have shared with me their own struggles with anxiety (and all of them having dealt with it for much longer) and it really helps to be able to share and be open with them. Learning that I'm not alone in this may not help much when my stomach feels full of butterflies out of control, but it does help on some level.