Compassion and the closet

Rick Munroe
This topic is 6068 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I focus mostly on my hobby, when I'm not at work, and have set various goals with regards to it. I don't know how many guys take train pictures, though I know there are some, I don't know who they are and I seriously doubt there are gay rail buffs in this part of the province. There is a gay person in Minnesota that appears to be a rail buff, who has a blog, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to send him emails.

Its only been in the past few years that I even admitted to myself that I'm gay. I find guys attractive.

Things would no doubt be more interesting for me, if I had a gay friend or two, but as I mentioned previously, I spend most of my time away from the job by myself, and have accepted that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please forgive me for asking about something you probably have already investigated...

I'm curious, Louis, whether you've sought out others online who have the same hobby? Common interests in that regard are far more valuable than common sexual orientation. Get two gays who are passionate about 18th century art together and they talk about 18th century art, not about being gay. Gay goes off the table and suddenly the conversation is open to everyone.

I know several people who are into, for example, vintage aviation with much the same focus as yours on photography. I know that within various photography hobbyist communities there are specialty sub-groups focused on specific subjects.

There are message boards around the net for every ... umm ... fetish. ;-) Have you found a rail photography board?

I'm not trying to chase you away, just wondering if you've added hobbyist message boards besides this one to your "social soup".

Here is what larry craig has voted for on issues pertaining to civil rights , he makes life hell for gays and i hope he gets exposed even more for the HYPOCRITE he truly is

Voted YES on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)

Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)

Voted YES on loosening restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. (Oct 2001)

Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)

Voted NO on setting aside 10% of highway funds for minorities & women. (Mar 1998)

Voted YES on ending special funding for minority & women-owned business. (Oct 1997)

Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)

Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)

Voted YES on Amendment to prohibit flag burning. (Dec 1995)

Voted YES on banning affirmative action hiring with federal funds. (Jul 1995)

Supports anti-flag desecration amendment. (Mar 2001)

Rated 25% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)

I do belong to a few Yahoo groups that talk about railroading. I used to go train watching with friends in Southern Ontario, but things are very different here. If I was to go train watching with someone I know, I would have to drive to Thunder Bay, which is roughly four hours away. Winnipeg is around five.

It is also harder to go train watching with people who are married. I know a few guys who basically stopped the hobby when they got married. So with me not being in any kind of relationship, I can almost come and go as I please. I always tell friends to take full advantage of their spot in life. If you have a partner then take full advantage of being in a relationship. If you are single then take full advantage of the freedom you have when you are single.

But enough about me... I feel as though I hijacked some strings here, and that wasn't my intention.

He never dated anyone until shortly before his first Congressional campaign, when he "met" his current wife and married her in rather short order. I'm sure she not only knows but was an active participant. Either that, or she really has her head up her ass.

Archived