Chicago 2006 Gay Games Break Even

newatthis
This topic is 6183 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

According to [a href=http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-gaygamesjul11,1,1933988.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed]this Chicago Tribune report[/a], the 2006 Gay Games in Chicago broke even, the first time that the Gay Games have broken even in 20 years.

Do we know how the Montreal OutGames fared that same summer?

Well, I've already commented on this but in case you missed it, the games in Montreal were a blast but totally mismanaged as far as the finances went. They lost their shirts but then it was nice seeing what was underneath!

The figures vary between $1.5 and $4 million but somewhere in that range went up in smoke. A lot of little suppliers and people working for the games didn't get paid so that sucks. The government sponsors just sucked it up. It just left a very bad taste in the gay community's mouth and we would have preferred something more flavorful but, hey, that's life! :7

it's not true that the sponsors in Montreal "just sucked it up". A friend of mine worked there as a soccer official. They were supposed to receive free hotel housing. However when the organizers failed to pay their bills the hotel charged all of the referees who had to pay out of their own pockets. My friend ended up having to pay $1200 for his "free" housing.

The people who ran the Outgames are criminals. The woman who was supposed to be in charge of the finances basically disappeared. And Mark Tewksberry who used the whole thing as a promotion for himself and his book never really had to answer for all of the mismanagement.

Archived