Steinway: only good for firewood these days?

This topic is 1785 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda surprised by this thread

I assumed people buy a grand piano because they want a grand piano. If it appreciates in value, all the better - but thats not the reason to buy it.

I have art hanging on my walls. I bought it because I love it. Some pieces have appreciated, others worth nothing.

I socialized with a group that was into the signed, numbered lithograph/serigraph frenzy of the 80s. Bought several. Paid thousands for one piece and then 10 years later, walking through an outlet mall, found an outlet store from a well known gallery. And there it was, a matching signed, numbered print... for $125

Some of my stuff has appreciated significantly, I only find out when I update appraisals for insurance purposes. Some can be found on ebay or online art dealers for a fraction of what I paid. I still love having them all hanging on my walls.

Anything related to arts, investment value is not MY primary objective.

I don't think most people are dumb enough to think that buying a new Steinway piano is a good investment. But those salespeople in Steinway dealerships are ruthless, they'll say anything to get the money.

Once, in a Steinway dealership, a saleswoman told me that I needed a new Steinway to develop further as a musician -that my instrument was holding me back. There might be a little truth to the notion that a poor instrument holds someone back, but the obvious solution isn't to drop a pile of money on a brand new Steinway.

Once, in a Steinway dealership, a saleswoman told me that I needed a new Steinway to develop further as a musician -that my instrument was holding me back. There might be a little truth to the notion that a poor instrument holds someone back, but the obvious solution isn't to drop a pile of money on a brand new Steinway.

Having a really great instrument can inspire you to practice more ...

If we are talking about a real grand piano, Models A (6'3"), B(6'10"), C(7'6"), D(9"), I would venture to say *any* of the california state universities, would welcome the addition of another. It is illegal to sell a *new* piano with ivory keys, but it is possible to sell *used* pianos, (manufactered before a certain time), although a pain in the rear to gather the necessary documentation. Violinists face the issue when travleing with their bows which have *miniscule* amounts of ivory in the frogs. But it can be done.

I doubt that. Used Pianos are the musical equivalent of National Geographics. There's a million of them and no one wants them. In one of my side jobs I get at least two inquiries a week about "do we need a piano". The answer is no. In turn, I regularly advise my own staff to "just burn it" when they try to offload a piano that isn't really playable and has no value. A University will have a handful of true Concert Grand Pianos, that are carefully handpicked and regularly maintained by professionals. In some cases, the person in charge of selection will have flown to NYC or Germany to hand selecte the piano as each is different. They last forever.

Then you have the classroom and practice pianos. They are build like trucks and take a beating and are routinely replaced every few years - the University sells them cheap, so they have an outflow of instruments and have no need for someone else's offcasts. The practice rooms, in particular are tiny and have zero space for a grand. And, like I said, they take a beating.

The average middle class home would be much more likely to have an enormous entertainment center than a Boesendorfer grand piano.

My friend’s grandmother took hers out of the old country during the war. I can’t even imagine how that happened.

My friend’s grandmother took hers out of the old country during the war. I can’t even imagine how that happened.

possibly true, but it sounds a little like one of those Antiques Road Show family legends that turn out to be not quite true. Most people were just glad to escape with their lives, much less with a grand piano!

possibly true, but it sounds a little like one of those Antiques Road Show family legends that turn out to be not quite true. Most people were just glad to escape with their lives, much less with a grand piano!

It wasn't that long ago. There may still be people around who could confirm or refute. My sister-in-law's partner was a small child when the Russians were sweeping westward at the end of the war. She remembers frantically scraping together a few clothes and belongings and making a mad dash for the last train out before the Russians captured their town.

It wasn't that long ago. There may still be people around who could confirm or refute. My sister-in-law's partner was a small child when the Russians were sweeping westward at the end of the war. She remembers frantically scraping together a few clothes and belongings and making a mad dash for the last train out before the Russians captured their town.

I found it hard to imagine escaping byelorusse/ russia with a piano, let alone a grand, but my classmate‘s grandmother was a russian piano teacher who taught in Paris. She’s no longer around, and her family eventually landed in Canada. So it‘s totally possible the Bosendorfer came with from Russia or France...oh, the stories the piano could tell.