Anti virus software

sydneyboy
This topic is 1877 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just purchased a HP envy top of the range desktop. The seller assured me I needed the full Norton antivirus software which I duly purchased. The guy who installed the system assured me the Microsoft 10 antivirus software was more than adequate and the person who sold me the Norton product was only interested in his commission and to get my money back. I returned the Norton product but the person who sold it to me pointed out that my installer also had a vested interest in removing viruses.

I have spent the afternoon googling Microsoft Defender v Norton and predictably there is no consensus. The prevailing view is that Microsoft 10 Defender is a vast improvement on past Microsoft efforts but Norton is more secure but has its faults like slowing the system down. Comments from computer wizzes appreciated.

As an aside . . .

My MacBook Pro is about to die - 11 years old. I was ready to get a new one but I can't get consensus re: key board issues.

Anybody have any advice?

PS - I love the one I have but when it goes - hasta la bye bye!

As an aside . . .

My MacBook Pro is about to die - 11 years old. I was ready to get a new one but I can't get consensus re: key board issues.

Anybody have any advice?

PS - I love the one I have but when it goes - hasta la bye bye!

I've had my current MacBook pro for 5 years and haven't had any issues with the keyboard. I have to be careful about not touching the trackpad with the lower palm of my left hand when I type (otherwise the focus-pointer jumps), but that's not the fault of the keyboard. I opted for the SSD memory instead of a disk, and it's performance has beeen absolutely stellar (and reliable).

I just purchased a HP envy top of the range desktop. The seller assured me I needed the full Norton antivirus software which I duly purchased. The guy who installed the system assured me the Microsoft 10 antivirus software was more than adequate and the person who sold me the Norton product was only interested in his commission and to get my money back. I returned the Norton product but the person who sold it to me pointed out that my installer also had a vested interest in removing viruses.

I have spent the afternoon googling Microsoft Defender v Norton and predictably there is no consensus. The prevailing view is that Microsoft 10 Defender is a vast improvement on past Microsoft efforts but Norton is more secure but has its faults like slowing the system down. Comments from computer wizzes appreciated.

Check what CNET has to say and recommend. There are some great freeware anti-virus products out there as rated by CNET.

Check what CNET has to say and recommend. There are some great freeware anti-virus products out there as rated by CNET.

Also a good idea to check if the software protects mobile devices - i have a A/V product suite installed on my android mobile phone that provides A/V protection, password security, lost device tracking and protection as well as social network privacy scanner. Very cool. ;)