Chag Sameach- HAPPY PURIM!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 1879 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Of course, one of the fun traditions of Purim is the various ways to obliterate Haman's name during the reading of the Megillah. Mostly with noise - but another tradition is to write "Haman" in chalk on the soles of your shoes and then rub/stamp it out.

I wasn't able to attend a service tonight, but I would actually like to write "trump" instead...o_O

This totally took me by surprise until someone just mentioned to me that Purim begins tonight. In my mind Purim is usually a February Holiday, so I didn't even think to expect it now.

happy-purim-banner-38012124.jpg

Gman

Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that Passover doesn't begin until April 19th?

~Boomer~

Have some hamentaschen in my honor, assuming you're allowed to or able to eat it.

Thank you QTR. Most of the hamentaschen I've had over the last few years hasn't been great. They usually have some at my Mom's retirement community. But it's not the greatest. When it's done well, I love apricot and prune hamentaschen.

I hope you can get ahold of some of the good stuff (hamentaschen I mean).

Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that Passover doesn't begin until April 19th?

~Boomer~

@BabyBoomer you may already know this, but as an agrarian people (originally) the Jews (or rather the Hebrews) depended on the moon for determining harvest times. So the Jewish Calendar is based on a lunar cycle/month of 28 days (actually 29.53 but what's 1.53 days among friends :p). But considering a lunar year would only have 354 days, that's going to really screw things up eventually. For example , unless I'm mistaken, Fall months would eventually be occurring in the Summer. So to keep things on track the Jewish Calendar has lunar months put into a solar year. The corrections involved in this (are beyond the scope of this post;)) are the reason why the Jewish Holidays fall on different dates yearly on the Gregorian (= civil ) Calendar although they always fall on the same date in the Jewish Calendar.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth