Why No 'Literature' Section of Comedy & Tragedy

TruthBTold
This topic is 1009 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I wondered why there is no place that people could alert others of books they found and wanted others to know about. Especially books that may hold particular resonance for the LGBT community or really just any good book. There are sections for Broadway, movies, television, and opera there is nothing for books (even tho the Forum seems to call for something particularly for "Literature"). I would probably be more prone to use the Literature section more than an opera section. I am not saying that we should get rid of opera, just add books. Thanks.

I wondered why there is no place that people could alert others of books they found and wanted others to know about. Especially books that may hold particular resonance for the LGBT community or really just any good book. There are sections for Broadway, movies, television, and opera there is nothing for books (even tho the Forum seems to call for something particularly for "Literature"). I would probably be more prone to use the Literature section more than an opera section. I am not saying that we should get rid of opera, just add books. Thanks.

Probably because when book threads are started here or in the Lounge, they end relatively soon. People don't have as much to say on this topic.

I say that as someone who started one such thread.

Probably because when book threads are started here or in the Lounge, they end relatively soon. People don't have as much to say on this topic.

I say that as someone who started one such thread.

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/poll-would-you-like-a-books-and-literature-forum-inspired-by-e-t-bass.139515/

I wondered why there is no place that people could alert others of books they found and wanted others to know about.

Probably because when book threads are started here or in the Lounge, they end relatively soon.

1708546.jpg

1708515.jpg

Edited by samhexum

The Must-Reads thread is there.

But yeah a separate section on books would be cool.

Whitman's mention of the excellent recent biography of President and General Grant receives some responses. But, little was made about Alan Hollingsworth's most recent gay novel, The Sparsholt Affair.

Edited by WilliamM

Whitman's mention of the excellent recent biography of President and General Grant receives some responses. But, little was made about Alan Hollingsworth's most recent gay novel, The Sparsholt Affair.

Thank you for revisiting that title @WilliamM .

I read Hollinghurst's The Swimming Pool Library and The Thin Line of Beauty, I will add The Sparsholt Affair to my queue. I expect I will enjoy it.

original_400_600.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I wondered why there is no place that people could alert others of books they found and wanted others to know about.

Probably because when book threads are started here or in the Lounge, they end relatively soon.

a separate section on books would be cool.

1714523.gif

Thank you for revisiting that title @WilliamM .

I read Hollinghurst's The Swimming Pool Library and The Thin Line of Beauty, I will add The Sparsholt Affair to my queue. I expect I will enjoy it.

original_400_600.jpg

I just bought "Sex and Sensibity in the in Novels of Alan Hollingsworth"

Edited by Mark Mathuray

It does not include "The Sparsholt Affair" though.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Lie With Me by Philippe Besson, translated from French,

and then I promptly put his first novel,
In the Absence of Men
. on my Want to Read list.

If only I was fluent in French. I expect there is always something lost in translation. This would make a moving screenplay. I love a good French flick.

From Goodreads,

Besson’s powerfully moving coming-of-age story

captures the eroticism and tenderness

of first love—and the heartbreaking passage of time.

liewithme_esn_wide-ec392ccae76113aabec7fd3a9fccc8bf54a2c4e7.jpg?s=1400

Edited by E.T.Bass

Just finished Lie With Me by Philippe Besson, translated from French,

and then I promptly put his first novel,
In the Absence of Men
. on my Want to Read list.

If only I was fluent in French. I expect there is always something lost in translation. This would make a moving screenplay. I love a good French flick.

From Goodreads,

Besson’s powerfully moving coming-of-age story

captures the eroticism and tenderness

of first love—and the heartbreaking passage of time.

liewithme_esn_wide-ec392ccae76113aabec7fd3a9fccc8bf54a2c4e7.jpg?s=1400

Is that Molly Ringwald, the actress? Is French her chosen language?

Wow, interesting. Thanks.

Did a little research. She seems pretty aware of the publishing world, literature and translation. From my limited knowledge (talking to French and Spanish internet friends) Call Me by Your Name translations resulted in slightly different interpretations of a very nuanced book, so I expect Lie With Me holds the same pitfalls. But that is OK. I'm glad I read this one. I honestly believe it would make a great screenplay for an awesome French flick.

New York Times, June 2

George Will, You're organizing a literary dinner. What three writers, dead or alive, do you invite?

Mr. Will: Albert Camus, whose "The Stranger" ignited my compulsive reading as undergrad from 1958-1962.

"The Magic Mountain," like Camus' s "The Plague," is an exhilarating example of literature of political ideas.

Also, Peter De Vries and Margaret Mead.

Comment: Totally agree about "The Magic Mountain."

Edited by WilliamM

An epic WWI war story.

A brash, noble Aussie officer.

Steady observant Brit, Private David Pearson, 12th London Rangers, and his mate Private Tommy Flowers of Iowa, both 18 year old soldiers in the thick of The Great War.

Glad I read Flower of Iowa. Prompted me to read more about this war, to think about man's inhumanity to man and the worldview that lead young men to charge into battle.

fd4f2555530a19dce85231a7682a3b33ae21733e__300x0

An epic WWI war story.

A brash, noble Aussie officer.

Steady observant Brit, Private David Pearson, 12th London Rangers, and his mate Private Tommy Flowers of Iowa, both 18 year old soldiers in the thick of The Great War.

Glad I read Flower of Iowa. Prompted me to read more about this war, to think about man's inhumanity to man and the worldview that lead young men to charge into battle.

fd4f2555530a19dce85231a7682a3b33ae21733e__300x0

Thanks for the heads up on this book. I find WWI extremely fascinating not only because it was so unnecessary and destructive but also because it put an end (in large part) to the empire-type rule. If you are interested in the war, The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is a great read that delves into the reasons for the war the first month of the war. The author has also written many other award winning books.

• 2 years later...
On 4/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, WilliamM said:

I just bought "Sex and Sensibity in the in Novels of Alan Hollingsworth"

Edited by Mark Mathuray

It does not include "The Sparsholt Affair" though.

I finally got back to this one.  Glad that I read it.    I hope Alan Hollinghurst.  has more coming.  I'm a fan. 

spacer.png