car tire nightmare - advice please

Smurof
This topic is 1891 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I took my car to shop #3 for 3 new tires. Just today I received an apology letter from the initial store - indicating they're sorry I wasn't happy with the service I received. Not sorry they didn't install the tires that I payed for. End result : 4 tires from 2 different places totaling $1,650, plus an I'm sorry letter. Thanks for all the input and advice. I'm from now on (it began with shop 3) going to be the lip to my nose, arms crossed, eyes glaring at the mechanics asshole watching to make sure work gets done. The others downing coffee and watching talk shows in the lounge can be their victims instead.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my car to shop #3 for 3 new tires. Just today I received an apology letter from the initial store - indicating they're sorry I wasn't happy with the service I received. Not sorry they didn't install the tires that I payed for. End result : 4 tires from 2 different places totaling $1,650, plus an I'm sorry letter. Thanks for all the input and advice. I'm from now on (it began with shop 3) going to be the lip to my nose, arms crossed, eyes glaring at the mechanics asshole watching to make sure work gets done. The others downing coffee and watching talk shows in the lounge can be their victims instead.

I'm sorry this happened. I urge you to write reviews on google and yelp along with a BBB or even a consumer affairs business complaint in your city/county/state. The first business sounds unethical and the second one sounds shady. Other consumers should be warned.

I do my research and only work with businesses that are well reviewed with reputations for honesty and trustworthiness. I stick around long enough to make sure a mechanic is doing the work we agreed upon. In the case of tires, I inspect before and after. I require the paperwork to include the serial numbers and date of manufacturer for warranty purposes. I also visually inspect to confirm them before I leave. For other auto work, I ask to see the old "damaged" parts that were supposedly bad when they remove them. I've even asked them to show me visually with clear pics before I agree to and authorize repair work. Everyone has a smartphone nowadays so this is an easy ask and makes it very clear I document such activity.

Maybe I missed it in one of your posts, but did you ever get any proof the tires were not changed? What was the manufacturing date(s) on the tires?

To answer the above question, I had extensive major work done, in addition to getting new tires. One of my tires had a flat, and I discovered none of the tires were changed by car shop #2. I did not look at the tires, just blindly drove away presuming all work was done. Live and learn. They were all in dire need of being changed, as the tread was badly worn. I'm now financially frustrated, but I'll recover over time.

Thank you for indulging my curiosity! I learned from your experience...