Going It Alone

LoveNDino
This topic is 1945 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Someone once told me, "There is a difference between being friends with someone and being friendly." As hard as it was I had to look at my "relationships" and decide which category they fell into. It was hard, but necessary, to change my behavior based on that.

That is true. I have many people that i am on a friendly basis with. But do I consider them all friends - the kind of friends I can count on? Nope...

Someone once told me, "There is a difference between being friends with someone and being friendly." As hard and hurtful as it was I had to look at my "relationships" and decide which category they fell into. It was hard, but necessary, to change my behavior based on that.

I've been told the same thing. And even posted it in other threads.

One of the first times I heard it: a wise rentguy said it to me when I asked him about a very dramatic experience I'd had with another rentguy.

I've been told the same thing. And even posted it in other threads.

One of the first times I heard it: a wise rentguy said it to me when I asked him about a very dramatic experience I'd had with another rentguy.

What's strange, though, is a lot times,when someone is talking about their circle of friends, they are actually talking about all the people they are friendly with, rather than actual friends. in the early 90s I participated in a support group for discussing all the weird things we had to deal with in the midst of a raging epidemic - grief, survivor guilt, trying to date, etc. etc. One guy mentioned that every time another friend died, he removed their card from his Rolodex and placed it on top of a stack of similar cards on his desk. He said he stopped doing it after the stack had gotten to be a couple of inches high. I didn't say anything, but I thought,"Nobody has that many friends. " It was clear that the people he was talking about werent all friends, but people he was friendly with.

What's strange, though, is a lot times,when someone is talking about their circle of friends, they are actually talking about all the people they are friendly with, rather than actual friends. in the early 90s I participated in a support group for discussing all the weird things we had to deal with in the midst of a raging epidemic - grief, survivor guilt, trying to date, etc. etc. One guy mentioned that every time another friend died, he removed their card from his Rolodex and placed it on top of a stack of similar cards on his desk. He said he stopped doing it after the stack had gotten to be a couple of inches high. I didn't say anything, but I thought,"Nobody has that many friends. " It was clear that the people he was talking about werent all friends, but people he was friendly with.

The line between friend and friendly can be blurry. I have a number of people I consider friends - meet them for lunch once a month or once every two months. I know the names of their spouses, their children etc, in many cases I have even met them, but I don't consider them close friends. We are just friendly - they are on my christmas card list, but not in my will! ;)