KATHY BATES in THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN

samhexum
This topic is 1918 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Kathy Bates was photographed this week looking like a new woman after reportedly losing 60 pounds following treatment for cancer.

The 70-year-old actress, who beat ovarian and breast cancer, is currently battling lymphedema, which she developed after getting lymph node surgery. The condition has caused painful swelling in her limbs.

But recently, the “American Horror Story” star said she is “feeling great,” according to People.

“I’ve lost a lot of weight and it’s really helped with my symptoms,” she told the outlet. “I just still have to wear compression sleeves or guard against nicks and bug bites because that can lead to sepsis.”

Bates, who was once told to keep her health struggles a secret to protect her career, has become a national spokesperson for Lymphatic Education & Research Network to spread the word, as symptoms can often be misdiagnosed as simple weight gain, she said.

“Some doctors think it’s cosmetic and not life-threatening …So it goes undiagnosed and the disease progresses for years and gets worse and worse,” she added.

Bates was honored at the WebMD Health Heroes event this month as the 2019 “Game Changer” for her efforts to increase awareness of the condition.

kathy-bates.jpg

Kathy Bates was photographed this week looking like a new woman after reportedly losing 60 pounds following treatment for cancer.

The 70-year-old actress, who beat ovarian and breast cancer, is currently battling lymphedema, which she developed after getting lymph node surgery. The condition has caused painful swelling in her limbs.

But recently, the “American Horror Story” star said she is “feeling great,” according to People.

“I’ve lost a lot of weight and it’s really helped with my symptoms,” she told the outlet. “I just still have to wear compression sleeves or guard against nicks and bug bites because that can lead to sepsis.”

Bates, who was once told to keep her health struggles a secret to protect her career, has become a national spokesperson for Lymphatic Education & Research Network to spread the word, as symptoms can often be misdiagnosed as simple weight gain, she said.

“Some doctors think it’s cosmetic and not life-threatening …So it goes undiagnosed and the disease progresses for years and gets worse and worse,” she added.

Bates was honored at the WebMD Health Heroes event this month as the 2019 “Game Changer” for her efforts to increase awareness of the condition.

kathy-bates.jpg

Also goes to show that sometimes weight is due to a medical issue and that people should stop complimenting people on weight loss that could well be caused by disease. I can tell you from experience that it doesn't feel good to be praised for weight loss that came about because of illness. You're more or less saying being ill was worth it because the person lost weight and minimizing what the person went through to get there. Also research shows that weight rarely stays off.

So excuse me for not jumping in to praise Ms. Bates' cancer treatment for making the weight loss that relieves her lymphedema possible.