What Would Be Your One Forever Food?

Avalon
This topic is 1953 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I love German food from Munich or Heidelberg. Could I move to either city.

Or just stay here Philadelphia PA, and order meals from the Old City Tavern near Independence Hall.

When I was in the Army, I was stationed at the American hospital in Heidelberg. It was actually in a suburb of Heidelberg, in a town called Rohrbach. The restaurants and the Gasthauses in that part of town were just outstanding. It seemed impossible to get a bad meal.

When somebody rotated back to the States, it was customary for all of their friends and colleagues to take them out to dinner at their choice of place. A friend asked me to take him to the Hotel Ritter - one of the nicest hotels in Heidelberg. I gulped and said "OK." It was a lot of fun. We had Chateaubriand, carved tableside and some sort of flaming dessert. I remember the check was 90.00 Marks - about $30.00 - big money in the 70s.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the Army, I was stationed at the American hospital in Heidelberg. It was actually in a suburb of Heidelberg, in a town called Rohrbach. The restaurants and the Gasthauses in that part of town were just outstanding. It seemed impossible to get a bad meal.

When somebody rotated back to the States, it was customary for all of their friends and colleagues to take them out to dinner at their choice of place. A friend asked me to take him to the Hotel Ritter - one of the nicest hotels in Heidelberg. I gulped and said "OK." It was a lot of fun. We had Chateaubriand, carved tableside and some sort of flaming dessert. I remember the check was 90.00 Marks - about $30.00 - big money in the 70s.

I was in West Germany in December and January 1972-3. Totally agree about the Gasthauses. I was disappointed when I visited Berlin restaurants later.

Back in my pre diabetic days for breakfast I'd have cereal. Corn flakes (the Rooster), Cheerios, Raisin Bran. I'd put artificial sugar on it. 2% milk.

In my pre diabetes life I used artificial sugar, salt substitute. I'd drink diet soft drinks. & etc..

I was in West Germany in December and January 1972-3. Totally agree about the Gasthauses. I was disappointed when I visited Berlin restaurants later.

We used to go to Berlin occasionally. We would take the duty train from Frankfurt. The train left Frankfurt at around 10PM and arrived in Berlin at 8A or so. The only thing I remember about the food in Berlin was the food trucks - they called them "Schnellimbisse." It was mostly sausage and ethnic food like Shashlik. And the breakfast at the Pension was usually pretty good.

We used to go to Berlin occasionally. We would take the duty train from Frankfurt. The train left Frankfurt at around 10PM and arrived in Berlin at 8A or so. The only thing I remember about the food in Berlin was the food trucks - they called them "Schnellimbisse." It was mostly sausage and ethnic food like Shashlik. And the breakfast at the Pension was usually pretty good.

Munich is almost as good as Heidelberg for food. I was always glad I spent a Christmas in West Germany. Two former presidents died while I was in Europe: Truman and LBJ.

Munich is almost as good as Heidelberg for food. I was always glad I spent a Christmas in West Germany. Two former presidents died while I was in Europe: Truman and LBJ.

Believe it or not, even though I spent three years in Germany, I never visited Munich.