Transgender awareness week - stages of transitioning

KeepItReal
This topic is 2020 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do you know anybody who has transitioned?

I've watched a trans friend go through the stages of coming out and transitioning over the past 3 years. Still in awe of how big an undertaking it is. I had the opportunity to speak at my firm about that experience today (transgender awareness week) and how rewarding it was to be an advocate for her. It's not just the actual transition and getting a physician your are comfortable working with, but also the daily BS like getting your ID documentation updated by a government bureaucracy that is trying at the best of times.

Do you know anybody who has transitioned?

I've watched a trans friend go through the stages of coming out and transitioning over the past 3 years. Still in awe of how big an undertaking it is. I had the opportunity to speak at my firm about that experience today (transgender awareness week) and how rewarding it was to be an advocate for her. It's not just the actual transition and getting a physician your are comfortable working with, but also the daily BS like getting your ID documentation updated by a government bureaucracy that is trying at the best of times.

Outside of the LGBT center I know two people who transitioned, one of whom was a colleague. She transitioned before she worked at the company, but had a website about her transition. Several people at the company thought it was hilarious and posted about it in Facebook. Her manager found out and reported the behavior to our HR department and the employees were disciplined. The company was extremely supportive.

I still work for the company and today the LGBT employee resource group hosted a fireside chat about transgender awareness. It was very well done. The presenter transitioned ten years ago and works in the financial industry. Someone asked about using the term "guys" and whether she found it to be offensive. She stated that she didn't find it offensive but turned the question back to the group and asked us to consider whether slang like "guys" is appropriate in a professional setting. She suggested using "team," "colleagues" or "people." She also related a story where an out gay man used the term "ladies" instead of "guys" when addressing a group at work. The men in the group were not comfortable with being called "ladies" but were equally uncomfortable with saying anything about it. She ended up mentioning it to a manager who handled the situation.