VPN

TruthBTold
This topic is 2014 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is what is probably a really inane questions but I know next to nothing about computers or the internet. If you download some internet content through a VPN and it goes on to your desktop, when you later play the content can anyone see that you are playing it as it is not going through the internet? I sort of can understand that the original owner could see that you are downloading it initially and that is why you use the VPN but later when you have downloaded and are not using the internet are you still visible to whoever? Thanks.

If you download some internet content through a VPN and it goes on to your desktop, when you later play the content can anyone see that you are playing it as it is not going through the internet?

Once you have it downloaded to your computer it is unlikely that use/play can be tracked. The exception would be DRM where the video checks to see if you have the rights (ongoing subscription for example) to view the content. It will then require an internet connection before it plays. If it plays fine without internet access being active, you are probably in the clear.

It depends on the content. If you're looking at a downloaded movie, or most pictures*, then your computer is not reference other places on the internet. If you're looking at a saved web page or an HTML document, it could be

possibly be reaching out and touching somewhere else.

*There were some instances of deliberately crafted pictures that broke the normal conventions and made use of bugs in browsers or viewers which could inject malware into your computer, before the software writers fixed those problems.

(I don't dispute what FrankR said about DRM videos; I haven't encountered one yet, but I've read about them).

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve started using VPN on my mobile devices and laptops. It’s creating a problem with financial institutions since they are seeing me login from multiple server locations in the same day....and they’re locking my account.

It’s not a complaint and I appreciate the protection, but Any ideas how to avoid this?

I keep my VPN targeted on one specific foreign country as my virtual location, that way it does not trigger account issues. I had to be re-authenticated when I initially changed to the VPN, but nothing since then. Try that and see if it works for you...

Mine starts up automatically when I start my computer although I know that you can change that so that you can manually start it up. I did that once and would always forget to turn it on. When I turn it manually I always go through the Netherlands. Again, no particular reason why.