Travel into Montreal~~

Samai139
This topic is 6459 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am planning to drive to Montreal in a couple of weeks, from the south, using Pont J. Cartier. Anyone know whether traffic from that direction is problematic, due to the collapse of the overpass in Laval?? I know Laval is north, but I'm a worrywort.

Thanks.

You have nothing to worry about using the Jacques Cartier bridge. It is a steel structure that is over 80 years old. The ones you have to worry about are the reinforced cement bridges built in the 60's and 70's. Engineers are now discovering that their expected shelf life of 70 years is perhaps 35 years overly optimistic! Of course, to get anywhere fast in Montreal you have to use these bridges. As some wag pointed out, just another lottery brought to us by the government of Quebec! LOL. :7

Guest zipperzone

>Engineers are now discovering that

>their expected shelf life of 70 years is perhaps 35 years

>overly optimistic! Of course, to get anywhere fast in Montreal

>you have to use these bridges. As some wag pointed out, just

>another lottery brought to us by the government of Quebec!

I have a hard time not thinking that the collapse of this overpass was caused by a slimy contractor, cheating on the specs in order to save money and obtain a larger profit, aided and abetted by equally corrupt inspectors who passed on the job for the exchange of some $$$$$. Wouldn't be the first time.......

You aren't the only one thinking this. I was in Montreal in the sixties but left in 1970. I well remember the huge amount of building that went on during this period. It brought many improvements to the city, including the wonderful subway system and many buildings that defined the new look of the city such as Place Ville Marie. Expo 67 capped it off with a stylish display of Canadian design and architecture for the whole world to see and admire.

Then came the seventies and the 76 Olympic fiasco, with cost overruns, a stadium that cost $1 billion!!! and didn't even have a roof. When it was looked into, it was discovered that corrupt contractors and city officials had made millions from such practices as having the same cement trucks enter the construction site with their load (for which they were given credit) then have the truck exit the site from another area and re-enter again for another credit. The same truck would perhaps enter the site 10 times with that one load of cement! It was no wonder the stadium cost a fortune.

We will have an investigation but I am not holding my breath. We don't have a very good record of holding people accountable for any malfeasance that concerns the use of public funds. x(

Archived