Shelf Life of IMs, etc.

BgMstr4u
This topic is 6453 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The scandal of Mark Foley has brought up a question that I hope some of the computer and internet tech types here can help with.

When you engage in an Instant Message conversation, is it saved somewhere and retrievable? I have heard it said that somewhere out there in cyberspace everything we write is still floating around and potentially available, and that technologically savvy types can in fact get access to your stuff.

In Foley's case, he appeared to be using AOL. I used to be able to save my AOL IM's as .rtx files and open them again in aol and also on my word processor, but now when I save them, I cannot open them. I have the impression (though I am not sure of this) that they may be coded to be retrievable on AOL's new AIM Instant Message service, which means they are sitting somewhere out there waiting to be read again. Do all internet providers operate the same way? Are there privacy laws and guarantees in place?

Inquiring minds want to know!

It varies by ISP, service, etc. -- there's no one size fits all answer. But in general, any data that leaves your computer (such as an IM) is data that you no longer control. If it gets stored somewhere along the way to its recipient (and it almost certainly will), you can't control how long it's there. It's outside your computer and outside your control.

At the office, we use ICQ as our inter-office intercom. No matter what computer I log in from, the history of every chat I've had for the last four years is available. That tells me it's stored by ICQ.

I can remember a couple of occasions over the years when AOL outed gay sailors to the Navy based on stored email messages.

The bottom line is if there's something you'd rather not have seen then FOR GOD'S SAKE don't send it across the internet. If you REALLY don't want anyone to see it, don't put it in a computer.

The rest is a game of risk management.

I'm very big on records ... be it for protection, bragging rights, or just plain being a pack rat who saves everything.

I have programs that allows me to alter and tweak little parts of AIM and AOL. In addition those programs automatically save and catalog all of my IMs.

If you have AIM: http://www.jdennis.net ... the program is called DeadAIM

If you have AOL: http://www.bpssoft.com ... the program is called PowerTools

>I'm very big on records ... be it for protection, bragging

>rights, or just plain being a pack rat who saves everything.

I'm the complete opposite. I love throwing stuff out, whether it's from my closet or kitchen cupboard or desk or computer. I like not feeling weighed down with "stuff." Whether it's throwing something in the trash (or donating it to charity) or hitting "delete," it's all good. When I had AOL, a friend suggested I get PowerTools to save IM's but I hate IM-ing and had shut that feature (instant message) off anyway. I don't save client emails or contact info unless they request me to ("hold onto my email and let me know when you're back in town," etc) or unless it's a regular with whom I have frequent contact. OK, I have saved a few of the nuttier emails for humorous reasons :+ , but for the most part, I delete once the job is over.

One more thing to add to the concern about privacy. Keep in mind that there is no right to privacy in the work place. Any e-mails or IM's that you send on your office computer are stored and can viewed by your employer at any time.

Happens all the time that people think that instant messages are not saved and then find out otherwise. (A friend of mine found out the hard way about this.) It's likely that your employer has tracking software installed if you work for a large organization. So, I would say don't be carrying on conversations at work on IM or e-mail that you would not want your boss to eventually read.

Guest Callipygean

Perhaps the best advice in this regard was offered, I believe, by Oscar Wilde, who cautioned that one ought "never commit to writing anything which one would not wish read out in open court."

That's a good point.

Most of us signed some form of "Internet and E-mail Policy" statement when we started our jobs (whether we remember doing it or not), and a lot of us probably have to sign a renewal annually.

Companies over a certain size are required to have a policy and provide proof (your signature) that they've informed employees of that policy. There are no requirements for the actual content of the policy, but there must be a policy.

In most cases (even in small companies), Big Brother IS watching.

If you're doing anything on the internet that you don't want to be front page news, do it from your own ISP and your own email acccount. NOT from the office! Even then, if you don't want it to be front page news don't do it.

Remember, you too could be the next subject of NBC's Dateline.

It boils down to being reasonable in your actions. Bill Gates really DOESN'T want to share a boatload of money with you. There really isn't a ton of money that some lovely woman in Nigeria needs help getting out of the country. And you really haven't just won a lottery you never played in a country you've never visited.

Be smart, and be careful.

Privacy as a legal issue is still being argued in the courts. My understanding is, there is no clear claim to it in the U.S. Constitution as there is free speech. If anyone is trying to seduce an under-age minor via email or IM, there are no privacy laws to protect you.

Frankly, if anyone wants to put enough money behind an investigation (if you are a suspect or someone submits a formal complaint), there is a data trail. Given the rise and destructive qualities of net viruses and the ability to capture the guilty, there are plenty of competent techies willing to make lucrative careers in the search-and-find arena. Chances are, if there's a data trail, it can be found.

Archived