Head Over Heels

This topic is 2051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Went to see Head Over Heels last night. For those that are not familiar with the show, it uses the music of the GoGos, so for a boy growing up in the 80s, there was a lot of familiar songs.

With the opening number, I was ready for a good a evening of fun - a great use of We Got the Beat with very enjoyable choreography. After that, I wasn't as pleased with the show and would give it 5 on a scale of 1-10.

Pluses of the show:

Rachel York - excellent in her role

The band! - - excellent throughout and really kept the GoGos sound

Sexy ensemble with a lot of energy.

If you appreciate the technical aspects of a show, the lighting was well done and very effective and I liked the set designs

Peppermint got a loud reception when first appearing on stage.

Downsides of the show:

There is a scene (if my memory is correct the song was Heaven is a Place on Earth) that really needs to be restaged. They basically had a long scrim sheet across the front of the stage that occasionally a character would pop his/her head above and sing. Then the characters were back lit to project shadows of the consummation of personal relationships onto the scrim. Interesting idea, but I felt it was not executed well.

The script tried too hard to make a statement about gender and sexual identity, particularly the second act. As a result, some of the things I enjoyed in Act One got lost after intermission.

Edited by sam.fitzpatrick

There is a scene (if my memory is correct the song was Heaven is a Place on Earth) that really needs to be restaged. They basically had a long scrim sheet across the front of the stage that occasionally a character would pop his/her head above and sing. Then the characters were back lit project shadows of the consummation of personal relationships onto the scrim. Interesting idea, but I felt it was not executed well.

Well, that can't possibly be a worse idea than this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVxF1nul4UM