Boy Erased

pitman
This topic is 1912 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just saw this at VIFF, followed by Q&A with director/actor/writer Joel Edgerton. I loved the film and was very moved by it. Lead actor Lucas Hedges carries the film with a brilliant and nuanced performance. I hope he win an Oscar for this.
Just read the book. Not as much sex as I fantasized there might be ;), but a glimpse into a culture that is very foreign to me. Looking forward to the movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The movie opens today in NYC. Got a good review in the NY Times, but Tony Scott didn't give it the "check mark," which is for people too lazy to read the review. I shall definitely see it. The movie is in mainstream theaters -- AMC multiplex in Manhattan -- and had a full-page ad in the NYT. With four popular actors, this isn't being presented as an art film.

Edgerton and Sivan did an awesome post movie discussion tonight in LA.

I could see the Academy being generous and nominating Troy Sivan for supporting actor and best song, in this age of sticking it to Pence. Kidman and Hedges could get nominated. They were both great.

For comparison, Boy Erased is nowhere near as good as an earlier film Hedges did, Manchester by the Sea. Writing a screenplay based on a book seems to be tricky. The book is of a high standard. Not sure if the movie did the book justice, but it was still a good movie. I'm glad I saw it.

Just saw this at VIFF, followed by Q&A with director/actor/writer Joel Edgerton. I loved the film and was very moved by it. Lead actor Lucas Hedges carries the film with a brilliant and nuanced performance. I hope he wins an Oscar for this.

I have feared this film ever since I heard of it’s story. Only because I’m currently caretaking for a parent who is depicted in this film. Its not that I’m not a healthy gay man now, who I have become on my own terms, but the tolls of caretaking for the one depicted, often rips the band–aid of life off everything which you once fixed for yourself which you need to overlook because you’re now the adult and responsible.

I look forward to seeing this.

I have feared this film ever since I heard of it’s story. Only because I’m currently caretaking for a parent who is depicted in this film. Its not that I’m not a healthy gay man now, who I have become on my own terms, but the tolls of caretaking for the one depicted, often rips the band–aid of life off everything which you once fixed for yourself which you need to overlook because you’re now the adult and responsible.

I look forward to seeing this.

That also sounds like movie material. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched the film on my flight home. The story is harrowing and I thought the dark depiction matched that. I enjoyed the movie and the performances of the main character actors. I followed that up with the complete contrast of Love, Simon. Light but fun. Two gay-themed movies on an airline in-flight entertainment system!