Masssuer Overhead Costs: what are they?

Brad in NYC
This topic is 2072 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In another thread, a masseur suggested that there are lots of costs for someone who is a masseur, which surprised me. I can think for some, but they don’t add up to much. I’ll get the list going and hopefully masseurs can jump in.

Rent: for most, I’d say zero, because almost all guys I’ve seen work out of their apartment. I realize there are some guys who rent rooms, and that can be very expensive I’m sure.

Table: I’m sure the good ones aren’t cheap, but you but a table once and you’re good to go.

Linens: seems like they have an ongoing cost for laundry. In NYC where I am, almost none of these guys have their own washer/dryer so they’ve got an expense here, but seems relatively small. Maybe a few dollars per appointment.

Cremes/oils: The more professional guys seem to use Biotone or other professional massage creme and I’d think they buy this in big jugs, again can’t imagine this costs more than a couple of dollars per appointment.

Unless they have regular day jobs, medical insurance is very expensive, so that’s probably the most expensive thing I can think of.

How much do these websites like MF charge per month. Seems like that’s an ongoing number that might be a bunch each month, but I’m not sure.

Thoughts?

I assume cost of transportation if he’s coming to you and the supplies such as massage oils and lube/condoms if it comes to that. Linens and laundry materials to keep them clean. Maybe the cost to post the ad as well. If you’re doing it at your own place then I doubt ypu can actually claim you apartment as an overhead cost unless you officially formed an business and you’re paying rent from that business entity. How about regular std checkups? It’s part of the business so that could be an overhead cost. The table is pretty much a one time expense unless it does get enough wear and tear to require constant replacement.

Could one claim gym membership as an overhead cost? I mean clients want you to look hot so there’s a correlation there.

If you are certified/licensed, the cost of school: almost $4000 at our local community college, over triple that at a nearby trade school. Then ongoing classes to maintain your certification.

If you do it as your livelihood then add in liability insurance to protect yourself and some kind of percentage you put aside to cover vacations, illness, unexpected down time, and retirement fund.

In another thread, a masseur suggested that there are lots of costs for someone who is a masseur, which surprised me. I can think for some, but they don’t add up to much. I’ll get the list going and hopefully masseurs can jump in.

Rent: for most, I’d say zero, because almost all guys I’ve seen work out of their apartment. I realize there are some guys who rent rooms, and that can be very expensive I’m sure.

Table: I’m sure the good ones aren’t cheap, but you but a table once and you’re good to go.

Linens: seems like they have an ongoing cost for laundry. In NYC where I am, almost none of these guys have their own washer/dryer so they’ve got an expense here, but seems relatively small. Maybe a few dollars per appointment.

Cremes/oils: The more professional guys seem to use Biotone or other professional massage creme and I’d think they buy this in big jugs, again can’t imagine this costs more than a couple of dollars per appointment.

Unless they have regular day jobs, medical insurance is very expensive, so that’s probably the most expensive thing I can think of.

How much do these websites like MF charge per month. Seems like that’s an ongoing number that might be a bunch each month, but I’m not sure.

Thoughts?

You mentioned many of the obvious overhead costs. The main ongoing cost that jumps to my mind is online advertising, which for Masseurfinder is around $200/month for the middle package and $277/month for the top package. Another main cost, and also one that takes a ton of effort and time is "looking good." Masseurs are well aware that we hire them on looks first. This involves a gym membership, but also all the time it takes at the gym. (which we end up paying them for.) Also, tanning....skin care.....haircuts....botox (for the ones over 30 y/0) .....and anything else they do to look their best. Also, since most work out of their homes, the best masseurs spend time keeping their homes looking clean and appealing, since clients are in/out every day. This takes either a cleaning service, or the masseur spending the time cleaning daily to keep it in tiptop shape. Also, there is the cost of the down time in between appointments. Masseurs are not booked 24/7 but need to keep their schedules open.....so there is lost income from not having another job. From what I can see, being a masseur in this business is not just about the expenses you can count in dollars (which do add up)....but the emotional, sexual and physical expenses that these guys put forth to run a successful massage business.

Not completely relevant.....but I’d say most masseurs use

mediocre oils at best. Same with linens. If you’re going to

charge over $100 per hour....I expect you to invest in high

quality products.

One word of advice...if your massage oil comes in a gallon

jug dispenser....it’s not high quality.

That, a high quality table, and a sparkling clean bathroom.

If your “overhead” expenses aren’t 25% of your fee....you're

probably not investing enough in the product your selling.

Come to think of it....I should offer a consulting service

for setting up new massage practices. Most of these guys

haven’t got a clue.

One word of advice...if your massage oil comes in a gallon

jug dispenser....it’s not high quality.

Biotone is considered the top of the line for massage products. You can get it in gallon containers.

Biotone ( top of the line product) also sells a GREAT high quality massage oil called Clear Results that my masseur uses that comes in a 5 gallon cube. Great product! (around $300 for the 5 gallon)