Ambulance Service

Avalon
This topic is 2102 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In May 2017 I called the ambulance to take me to the ER. In was at night. The ER called a taxi to take me home.

But now I would not be able to walk from the taxi to my front door. I just called the ambulance service and they can transport someone back home if needed.

My right leg has been bothering me for a couple of weeks. I've had cellulitis there several times. Last time was back in 2017. But I don't think that is it now because my leg does not feel especially warm which is an indication of cellulitis. Besides if it were cellulitis I'd think I'd be dead by now without treatment.

I've been putting over-the-counter antibiotic cream on it. In the past I was hospitalized twice. The doctor has given me shots and prescribed antibiotic pills.

I called his office this morning to see if he would prescribe the pills again. He's out. I was told that I would need to be seen to get a prescription. But if I were to go to the ER they could do it.

I get most of my meds through the mail and my landlord brings them to me. But occasionally I'll need something special. The pharmacy I had been using does not deliver but I found one that has free delivery so I transferred there today.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In May 2017 I called the ambulance to take me to the ER. In was at night. The ER called a taxi to take me home.

But now I would not be able to walk from the taxi to my front door. I just called the ambulance service and they can transport someone back home if needed.

My right leg has been bothering me for a couple of weeks. I've had cellulitis there several times. Last time was back in 2017. But I don't think that is it now because my leg does not feel especially warm which is an indication of cellulitis. Besides if it were cellulitis I'd think I'd be dead by now without treatment.

I've been putting over-the-counter antibiotic cream on it. In the past I was hospitalized twice. The doctor has given me shots and prescribed antibiotic pills.

I called his office this morning to see if he would prescribe the pills again. He's out. I was told that I would need to be seen to get a prescription. But if I were to go to the ER they could do it.

I get most of my meds through the mail and my landlord brings them to me. But occasionally I'll need something special. The pharmacy I had been using does not deliver but I found one that has free delivery so I transferred there today.

There are transportation services that might be available to you as someone who is disabled to help you get to the doctor, etc. Many metro areas have regional services, often publicly funded or non-profit. Relying on an ambulance and ER to get a routine prescription for antibiotics is a bit of overkill.

If you are unable to get to a taxi on the street, though, you might want to consider looking into some in-home assistance or nursing where someone comes and helps you out. Most legit services will take insurance/Medicare/Medicaid, as appropriate.

Edited by bnm73

Gulp! Hope you feel better buddy. Why don't you ask to see one of the other doctors at the practice? That what I always do when I'm feeling sick but not so bad that I want to go to the ER. I can't think of a single time that I wasn't able to get a same day appt.

And from the "everything you see on TV must be true" dept. Every commercial I see on TV for health insurance plans say they have a new benefit - they will provide you with transportation to your doctors office if you can't get there by yourself. You might want to check with yours. Do take care and let us know how it turns out.

I don't really have a way to get out. I just take each day as it comes.

Had you considered asking your landlord about a 1st Floor Apt and your doc/insurance company about a wheelchair? If the insurance company wont get you one --- Craigslist is usually filled with used wheelchairs/scooters cheap! Hope you feel better soon!

Had you considered asking your landlord about a 1st Floor Apt and your doc/insurance company about a wheelchair? If the insurance company wont get you one --- Craigslist is usually filled with used wheelchairs/scooters cheap! Hope you feel better soon!

I live on the ground floor. The apartments are not really made for wheelchairs. A couple of years ago the neighbor in the unit next to me downstairs needed a wheelchair and had to move. She has since passed away.

The doorways are too narrow. Bathroom is too small. Could not get into the kitchen in a wheelchair. Etc..

I live on the ground floor. The apartments are not really made for wheelchairs. A couple of years ago the neighbor in the unit next to me downstairs needed a wheelchair and had to move. She has since passed away.

The doorways are too narrow. Bathroom is too small. Could not get into the kitchen in a wheelchair. Etc..

Do you live in rural area? I ask because I did as a child. Even small cities had may more resources to help people in need.

Do you live in rural area? I ask because I did as a child. Even small cities had may more resources to help people in need.

I live @3 miles from the shopping center where I order my groceries and where I have a rent mail box. My landlord lives a couple of blocks on the other side of that. Not really rural but not built up urban either. I think in the entire county there are only three buildings with elevators - county building, court house and hospital and the hospital has closed. No escalators.

I live @3 miles from the shopping center where I order my groceries and where I have a rent mail box. My landlord lives a couple of blocks on the other side of that. Not really rural but not built up urban either. I think in the entire county there are only three buildings with elevators - county building, court house and hospital and the hospital has closed. No escalators.

If you can afford it maybe you could hire someone to take you to doctor appointments. That's what my mother did. I'm sure there are people in your community who could use the extra money

What about a walker?

~Boomer~

The problem is my legs get weak. It's the weakness more than any pain that is my problem. Why I fell in the parking lot last April.

If you can afford it maybe you could hire someone to take you to doctor appointments. That's what my mother did. I'm sure there are people in your community who could use the extra money

I would need a wheelchair to get from my door to the car and then get about. I did call one transportation place. They wanted $90.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Money-wise I live a comfortable life in my apartment. If I were to go into a nursing home I'd need Medicaid. Medicaid does not pay for assisted living and my income would barely make it. But then there would be other expenses like doctor bills, prescriptions etc..

What happens when you have no more insulin?

~Boomer~

I found a pharmacy that delivers. I only have Medicare Part D and I usually meet the donut hole in the Summer so after that everything is out of pocket. Last year my doctor found me a company that provides free insulin for those who have met the donut hole. So they sent some last year and they sent so much that I've not had to buy any insulin this year and think that I'll still have some to last until next year. Usually my out-of-pocket cost for insulin is between $100 and $200 per month. This year for the first time I have not met the donut hole.

I buy pills each month for my diabetic neuropathy (toe pain). It's about $80 per month and does not count toward the donut hole.

I take a dozen plus meds each day. Most I get through the mail for three months and all those count towards the donut hole.

Several I buy over-the-counter - aspirin, calcium, antibiotic cream.

I found a pharmacy that delivers. I only have Medicare Part D and I usually meet the donut hole in the Summer so after that everything is out of pocket. Last year my doctor found me a company that provides free insulin for those who have met the donut hole. So they sent some last year and they sent so much that I've not had to buy any insulin this year and think that I'll still have some to last until next year. Usually my out-of-pocket cost for insulin is between $100 and $200 per month. This year for the first time I have not met the donut hole.

I buy pills each month for my diabetic neuropathy (toe pain). It's about $80 per month and does not count toward the donut hole.

I take a dozen plus meds each day. Most I get through the mail for three months and all those count towards the donut hole.

Several I buy over-the-counter - aspirin, calcium, antibiotic cream.

I don't know if it is useful, but Medicare does cover in-home care.

https://www.medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/part-a/other-long-term-care-choices.html

I don't know if it is useful, but Medicare does cover in-home care.

https://www.medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/part-a/other-long-term-care-choices.html

Thank-you! The county has a program where you can hire someone to help, run errands etc.. If my landlord can no longer help me (he's in his 80s but healthy) I can contact the county and I could hire a person for a couple of hours to pick up my groceries and get my mail. They screen these people.

Thank-you! The county has a program where you can hire someone to help, run errands etc.. If my landlord can no longer help me (he's in his 80s but healthy) I can contact the county and I could hire a person for a couple of hours to pick up my groceries and get my mail. They screen these people.

Hell, you should do it anyway. Your landlord can still pitch in if he's willing and able. But you'd have someone else who could fetch your meds and mail, etc. It never hurts to have extra options before it's an emergency.

Wouldn't the the $90 be worth it if just went to store or two, and have the driver purchase items for you?

It may not be a huge "step" but it could encourage you to try again.

It would be nice to go to the hair salon. I've not had a haircut in 3.5 years. And I stopped shaving several months ago as I could no longer stand long enough to do it.

After I fell back in April I called the county conservator's office but they wouldn't help me as long as I can make my own medical and financial decisions. But if need be because I have no family to help and if I were to need LTC (long term care) I would need them to take over.