The Military And Inclusive Language?

Avalon
This topic is 2122 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Maybe someone who has been in the military will answer this. Are female officers addressed as "Sir" or "Ma'am"?

On Star Trek all are addressed as "Sir". Exception was in "Voyager" where Captain Janeway preferred female terms.

In the recent episode of "MasterChef" they had to cook for the Air Force. And although there were both men and women they were called "airmen".

In this p.c. world I was surprised at that.

Maybe someone who has been in the military will answer this. Are female officers addressed as "Sir" or "Ma'am"?

On Star Trek all are addressed as "Sir". Exception was in "Voyager" where Captain Janeway preferred female terms.

In the recent episode of "MasterChef" they had to cook for the Air Force. And although there were both men and women they were called "airmen".

In this p.c. world I was surprised at that.

I can't speak to current times, but I can tell this brief story....

When I was young, an older cousin enlisted...in the Navy if I remember right, but I could be mistaken.

Anyways, she and I were at my grandmother's house at the same time at one point, and she let me flip through some of her notebooks and such that she had brought. I distinctly remember reading that there were "Sir" and "Ma'am" some of the responses. "How can I help you, Sir/Ma'am," for example.

Women officers in the military are addressed as "ma'am." Other terms, such as "Airman" and Midshipman" have been discussed as needing to change but I think even the women in the military have not pressed for it. The Navy is reviewing the possibility of renaming some specific job titles, such as "Corpsman," "Yeoman," "Fireman," etc., but hasn't made any changes yet.

Women officers in the military are addressed as "ma'am." Other terms, such as "Airman" and Midshipman" have been discussed as needing to change but I think even the women in the military have not pressed for it. The Navy is reviewing the possibility of renaming some specific job titles, such as "Corpsman," "Yeoman," "Fireman," etc., but hasn't made any changes yet.

What is your sourse?

"How can I help you, Sir/Ma'am," for example.

I've heard that used in the US armed forces but not in Australia. It's used to answer phones when they person doesn't know the rank or gender of the caller: they assume officer until they determine otherwise and cover both bases with gender. The two junior ranks in the RAAF are aircraftsman/aircraftswoman and leading aircraftsman/woman. They're the only 'gendered' ranks we have.