5 Unforgettable Moments from Brokeback Mountain

Avalon
This topic is 2090 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

well, I'm going to be an "anti" on Brokeback Mountain.....the movie was perfectly produced and directed, well-acted with a restrained script, and the music and scenery were, of course, legendary, but the plot was as far from original as a movie could get - a tragic love story - something that's been done a million times......Crash was as contrived and forced as could be, but I guess the "Academy" wanted something more meaningful that year......

Well, them fighting words!;)

A love story between men was pretty damn original.

So many people did not understand a man can get his fucking heart broken by another man.

How fortunate that Ang Le and everyone else put their talents behind Annie Proulx's award winning story.

Th Oscars will have to bear that blemish forever.

That is one of the most naive statements I have ever seen. It was voted in because of homophobia plain and simple!

Actually, the subject of the film is the closet. I don’t believe that’s a story that had been done even once before, never mind a million times.

I knew I'd get flamed for my comments and I certainly understand your rebuttals......the story is still nothing more than a classic tragic love story - except it was between two men......that the movie is also about "the closet" is self-evident, but I don't think the closet and a love story merit Best Picture recognition (and there really was little else to the movie).......nothing groundbreaking was exposed in the movie (same-sex love, the closet, tragic love stories, sexual identity angst have existed for centuries).......yes, this was a mainstream same-sex love story and that was entirely new, but this particular movie was not utterly original or clever in its telling.......

Crash was certainly no better........highly contrived and a forced, socially-sensitive plot......many observers that year lamented the entirely lackluster lineup for Best Picture

melodramatic statements like "the Oscars will have to bear that blemish forever" and "that is one of the most naive statements I have ever seen" tend to confirm the hysteria when cooler heads should prevail.....

I certainly wish it had won, but it just wasn't that original......Crash has often been mentioned as one of the worst "Best Picture" winners

https://www.today.com/popculture/how-did-brokeback-mountain-lose-wbna11701755

I realize there are many pro- and con-articles all over the 'net......I picked this one

Edited by azdr0710

that the movie is also about "the closet" is self-evident,

If “the closet” is so self-evident as the movie’s theme, it is certainly odd that it is almost never mentioned as the movie’s theme.

Instead “Brokeback” is falsely claimed to be a conventional love story — hetero in the guise of homo. Nope.

Both narratively and visually, “Brokeback Mountain” is a tragedy about the specifically gay phenomenon of the “closet” — about the disastrous emotional and moral consequences of erotic self-repression and of the social intolerance that first causes and then exacerbates it. If Jack and Ennis are tainted, it’s not because they’re gay, but because they pretend not to be; it’s the lie that poisons everyone they touch.

• 2 weeks later...