How Hard Is It To CANCEL AOL

LovesYng
This topic is 6543 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After reading the thread that Rick Munroe wrote canceling his AOL account I seen on the Today Show a guy trying to cancel. The best part is this guy taped it all when he called AOL. After the 30 second advertisement watch the interview.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=5ff445af-bf5c-4c3c-9424-ff467ea97a87&f=00&fg=email

When in doubt I whip it out :+

Guest ncm2169

I cut the AOL cord last October (2005), with just a very firm phone call to their customer service. No problems since. :)

I faxed in my cancellation request rather than talk to anyone, and that was it.

They sent me a confirmation e-mail, and a letter in the mail a week or so later.

I had been dreading cancelling (as a customer since 1996) because of all the difficulties I head read about, but there really wasn't anything to it.

Seven:-)

sevenbna@yahoo.com

http://www.men4rentnow.com/ds/index.asp?cmd=view&id=153238&Login=SevenBNA

Funny. =oP The inescapable truth I've found when calling into places like this is, it ALL depends on the Customer Service Representative you talk to. If you get someone nice and informed, you're fine. If you get someone who's either not informed or pushy, it's a nightmare.

I've actually had people call me up to ask for donations (which I don't mind if done politely), but instead of asking, one lady started TELLING me what donation I was going to give and wouldn't take no for an answer, and that didn't fly well either.

It's also bad when you're calling in for something like IT (I'm into computers and troubleshooting, etc.) and you end up knowing more than the technical support people you're talking to.

Though when I was a kid (this was prolly...oh wow...8-10 years ago), I called into NEC about an issue I was having with one of their CD-ROM drives... The guy I talked to thought I was female (boy's voice, but my voice has always been a bit soft) and kept hitting on me during the phone call. It was pretty funny. He was especially helpful because of that too. =oP I just went along with it.

It can be very difficult.And more than one call is often(always?)required.Also watch your CC bill-and call them right away when they bill you-and be firm!

You also want to stip every piece of aol spywear and hidden softwear out of your puter-including IM.I had to have a more tech savvy friend do this for me-worth dinner or a little cash IMO.

It took me about a year to quit. Sure I got away with like half a year free... but they must have snuck around 2 or 3 payments out of me!

Everytime I would call in and be like, "I'm ready to cancel my account" and then the guy would go into an hour discussion about how American online is the most amazing thing ever, and how they do everything for you...

Finally, I just printed out the cancellation form, signed it and mailed it in. End of discussion.

I still get mail from AOL asking me to come back as a "vip alumni" member.

Talk about desperate! lol

It took me about a year to quit. Sure I got away with like half a year free... but they must have snuck around 2 or 3 payments out of me!

Everytime I would call in and be like, "I'm ready to cancel my account" and then the guy would go into an hour discussion about how American online is the most amazing thing ever, and how they do everything for you...

Finally, I just printed out the cancellation form, signed it and mailed it in. End of discussion.

I still get mail from AOL asking me to come back as a "vip alumni" member.

Talk about desperate! lol

Archived