Have You Ever Denied Being Gay?

Avalon
This topic is 2120 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In another thread I shared watching a four part Australia show "The Principal". The principal's name is Matt.

There were some flashbacks to his high school days. He had a boyfriend but it was on the down low. His father caught them together and told him to end it.

It seems at school it was known that the boyfriend was gay but not Matt. One day at school after the incident with the father a half-dozen boys beat up the boyfriend. In the back of the crowd is Matt. The boyfriend looks to Matt for help. But Matt then joins in kicking the boyfriend. A week later the boyfriend commits suicide.

It has "haunted" Matt ever since.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a terrible situation...most likely though the boyfriend was thinking of committing suicide well before all that, still a tragic ending.

But to your question...there was a guy who was a year behind me in school that was also gay...he came out his eighth grade year, and then I was of course in 9th grade but not out yet. Just FYI it's a small school everyone knows everyone the junior high and high school were attached. In all honesty this kid was a little weird we didn't run in the same circles and after he came out he changed a lot...within a month he had a very effeminate voice and was partying and smoking weed (due to my parents involvement with rec drugs and alcohol I would never hang out with a kid like that...gay or not) and a lot of his friends distanced themselves from him no one was straight up mean to him but they just stopped hanging out. So fast forward a bit and I came out during that summer and nothing really changed for me friends wise and I didn't change myself at all still the same ole kid. And so the kid that came out before me and I worked at the same place along with his boyfriend...and they both standoffish towards me and rude and I think they even tried to get me fired...but anyway they thought I should have stood up for him when he came out. I wrestle with that a little bit but he also did a complete 180 and like I said above he was a guy I would never hang out with anyway. So I guess I am Matt in the story except I didn't beat anyone up.

Edited by Kman

I grew up, where no one discussed gay. It just wasn't discussed, then of course the "gay plague" or HIV/AIDS crisis seemed to reinforce the gay is bad stereotype. Until I moved, I never said I was gay, I was mocked as a kid as I was a little effeminate. I was told I should act more like a man in my demeanor etc by relatives . But nothing serious/major.

Silly response. Judy at Carnegie Hall was the best selling album in the country in Fall 1961.

I would have seen Harry Belafonte or a bit later Joan Baez in a similar situation. Special performers, if you like talent.

I saw Diana Ross, Bette Midler and Barbra Streisand in their prime at different venues before I acknowledged who I was. I guess it was obvious. Lol

How could I deny being gay when I saw Judy Garland at Boston Garden when a freshman in college. The concert sold out 14,000 seats.

Oh, @WilliamM, you enjoy this, don't you? Once again we are reminded that you, O Lucky Man, have seen Every Single Gay Icon Who Ever Lived in live performance. I never fail to get a pang of envy … especially when the icon mentioned is the littlest Gumm Sister.

When I was in business, I worked for a good portion of that time in commercial real estate. A very very conservative, "good ol boys' mentality. I was never asked outright, but certainly many clients/co-workers made comments baiting me for a response. While I never denied it, I did for years sidestep the question. In later years I moved to residential real estate, where concerns about ones sexuality just wasn't an issue. I do remember one client pressing me, and insisted on a response. I calmly looked at him and said, "You're a bright guy, I think you can figure it out"...and that was the end of it, until years later I got outed by a co-worker. I've told the story here many times, but in the end, I have no regrets....

I’ve never denied being gay but I don’t voluntarily tell people either. I’ll let them figure it out. I do admit to it when asked.

In response to critical comment, Drew has more information in his profile here than most people.

I would have like something more too. But, Drew was honest and we should appreciate it.

Edited by WilliamM