Masseur response -- how much time should pass?

BigNoiseDallas
This topic is 2120 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I texted a well-reviewed masseur about 10 hours ago, politely asking if he was available for a session this coming weekend, and haven't received a reply. He's not local and will be travel here later this week, but from what I can tell he's still in his home city. His website says that texting to set up an appointment is OK, and I double-checked to make sure I texted to the correct phone # (I did).

Should I text a second time this evening or give it a few more hours? He also has a secure booking form that I could use, especially since it's the first time I've tried to schedule with him.

Thoughts and opinions?

I texted a well-reviewed masseur about 10 hours ago, politely asking if he was available for a session this coming weekend, and haven't received a reply. He's not local and will be travel here later this week, but from what I can tell he's still in his home city. His website says that texting to set up an appointment is OK, and I double-checked to make sure I texted to the correct phone # (I did).

Should I text a second time this evening or give it a few more hours? He also has a secure booking form that I could use, especially since it's the first time I've tried to schedule with him.

Thoughts and opinions?

He may have a day job and not reply to messages during his other job.

Maybe he was sleeping or otherwise busy.

Maybe he's getting a lot of messages and is trying to figure out how many people he can book.

Maybe he's traveling today, but won't be available in your area until the end of the week.

Since the potential appointment is a few days in the future, I wouldn't text again today. That would give him a chance to take care of what ever is going on today. If you want to touch base tomorrow, that would probably be o.k. If he doesn't respond at all (even with a "I'm booked" or "No, thanks"), then I could consider that unprofessional and would not utilize his services.

Maybe he's getting a lot of messages and is trying to figure out how many people he can book.

Maybe he's traveling today, but won't be available in your area until the end of the week.

Since the potential appointment is a few days in the future, I wouldn't text again today. That would give him a chance to take care of what ever is going on today. If you want to touch base tomorrow, that would probably be o.k. If he doesn't respond at all (even with a "I'm booked" or "No, thanks"), then I could consider that unprofessional and would not utilize his services.

Good thoughts, appreciate the feedback.

There are 1001 reasons why a masseur may not respond inside of 24 hours. Especially if they are traveling, sometimes their plans change or they aren’t sure when they will arrive in your city or have other things to juggle. Usually if 48 hours pass and then nothing, I might text again. I will say that 90% of masseurs I contact respond right away or within 2 hours. Those who have been longer (many times, not all) generally apologize for taking so long. A few are flakes but it’s rare.

Guest fm0322

I’m struggling with this issue too. A masseur I have seen for years stopped responding to messages. In the past he’s gone MIA and surfaces after months of silence. His ad remains in MF yet no response when I’ve sent texts. My natural instinct is to make it about me and feel hurt. I am disappointed to take him off my list because he was great fun. But off my list he goes.

I’m struggling with this issue too. A masseur I have seen for years stopped responding to messages. In the past he’s gone MIA and surfaces after months of silence. His ad remains in MF yet no response when I’ve sent texts. My natural instinct is to make it about me and feel hurt. I am disappointed to take him off my list because he was great fun. But off my list he goes.

I've had several masseurs flake out on me -- no explanation, they just quit responding -- and I had seen them all several times. One has since dropped his ad, I understand that another one has retired from the business, and the third one still has an ad that shows he's out of town -- but another poster here said the third masseur is out of the business and no longer in Dallas. And they, too, were good masseurs and all great fun.

@BigNoiseDallas @fm0322 I hear you. It has happened to me and it can be disappointing. But in reality there are gazilions of reasons. One masseur who I had sort of become friendly with got into a relationship and had to stop and went off the grid for a year or so, others have family issues or job issues, who knows. It’s probably rarely ever about he clients. Plus it’s easy for clients to get more attached to the masseur than the masseur to the client. They see many a day / a week, and we see them in a more focused way. It’s an interesting dynamic actually. But again who knows the reasons? Best to move on.

@BigNoiseDallas @fm0322 I hear you. It has happened to me and it can be disappointing. But in reality there are gazilions of reasons. One masseur who I had sort of become friendly with got into a relationship and had to stop and went off the grid for a year or so, others have family issues or job issues, who knows. It’s probably rarely ever about he clients. Plus it’s easy for clients to get more attached to the masseur than the masseur to the client. They see many a day / a week, and we see them in a more focused way. It’s an interesting dynamic actually. But again who knows the reasons? Best to move on.

Yes, agreed. It's been particularly frustrating because several other favorites that I've used over the years have left Dallas for either personal or professional reasons, and I'm having a tough time finding a regular who has all the qualities I'm looking for. The search continues! Thanks!

Guest fm0322

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. Oddly, it’s comforting to know others have had the same experience. I use 3 masseurs regularly and each for a different reason/mood. So it’s not that I’m pining for this guy but he filled a specific niche in my massage portfolio (writing this sounds so stupid, but it’s true). Time to move on!!

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. Oddly, it’s comforting to know others have had the same experience. I use 3 masseurs regularly and each for a different reason/mood. So it’s not that I’m pining for this guy but he filled a specific niche in my massage portfolio (writing this sounds so stupid, but it’s true). Time to move on!!

I totally get what you are saying (doesn’t sound stupid at all :)

Yes, agreed. It's been particularly frustrating because several other favorites that I've used over the years have left Dallas for either personal or professional reasons, and I'm having a tough time finding a regular who has all the qualities I'm looking for. The search continues! Thanks!

PM if you want and I can give you some thoughts on Dallas (which I’m not far from) and yes, a group that has changed over recent years.

Perhaps ask a friend to text him and see if he replies. Or use another number to text just to find out if it’s just you or in general.

Guest fm0322
Perhaps ask a friend to text him and see if he replies. Or use another number to text just to find out if it’s just you or in general.

Thanks. May be too much information. If it is me, I don’t want to find out. Lots of other choices.