This topic is 2143 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this is not used for anything currently.

No, I would guess it's historical, the Asian face symbolises Vietnam. These were the faces of the empire when it existed in Africa and Asia, the white of metropolitan France was not illustrated. The modern black blanc et beur was intended as a characterisation of the modern, multicultural French Republic (or more specifically Les Bleus). Whether it is accurate, or masks (deliberately or not) an underlying racism is debatable.

No, I would guess it's historical, the Asian face symbolises Vietnam. These were the faces of the empire when it existed in Africa and Asia, the white of metropolitan France was not illustrated. The modern black blanc et beur was intended as a characterisation of the modern, multicultural French Republic (or more specifically Les Bleus). Whether it is accurate, or masks (deliberately or not) an underlying racism is debatable.

It seemed to me whether it was a current ad or something that had been used in the past that it was racist.

It seemed to me whether it was a current ad or something that had been used in the past that it was racist.

Absolutely, but if, as I suspect it's from 1950 or earlier, not seen as such then, but rather as saying, 'We're all in this together'.

I don't know, but I don't see why not. A republic can have an overseas empire, whether they call it that or not. America did after all.

But I don't think we called our's an Empire. And in France with their disdain for monarchies whether Bourbon, Orleans or Bonaparte I'd think the word "Empire" would especially be avoided in a Republic.

I can how you as an Australian and me as an American would have a different take on the word.

But under the Third Republic would it have been called "Empire"?

Yes, it was called the French colonial empire, or “the empire” for short.

In 1940 when France capitulated, De Gaulle flew to London from which he addressed the French nation using the BBC’s short waves “France is not alone. She has a vast Empire behind her”. He meant that only Metropolitan France has been captured, but the colonial empire, which was most of France by territory and by number of people was not under German control and could continue the war.

Of course he didn’t mention that there was no industry in the colonies, and not a lot of well trained troops among the natives, that would have been bad for moral.

But I don't think we called our's an Empire. And in France with their disdain for monarchies whether Bourbon, Orleans or Bonaparte I'd think the word "Empire" would especially be avoided in a Republic.

I can how you as an Australian and me as an American would have a different take on the word.

Well, empire got a traditional meaning “headed by an emperor” but by extension also a newer meaning: “loads of territories abroad”.

Some Europeans (speaking English) certainly call America an empire:

https://www.amazon.com/Colossus-Rise-Fall-American-Empire/dp/0143034790

Yes, it was called the French colonial empire, or “the empire” for short.

In 1940 when France capitulated, De Gaulle flew to London from which he addressed the French nation using the BBC’s short waves “France is not alone. She has a vast Empire behind her”. He meant that only Metropolitan France has been captured, but the colonial empire, which was most of France by territory and by number of people was not under German control and could continue the war.

Of course he didn’t mention that there was no industry in the colonies, and not a lot of well trained troops among the natives, that would have been bad for moral.

Well, empire got a traditional meaning “headed by an emperor” but by extension also a newer meaning: “loads of territories abroad”.

Some Europeans (speaking English) certainly call America an empire:

https://www.amazon.com/Colossus-Rise-Fall-American-Empire/dp/0143034790

Merci beaucoup!

I was remembering first the French Union and then the French Community but they did not come about until after WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Union

Edited by Avalon

The French/English language media “Les Repliques” tweeted the origins of each of the key players in the French team, but one of the players corrected them.

43_C5280_D_0_E1_B_4559_B33_B_A5785_F168227.jpg

None born in France then?

Reminds me of the four judges of "America's Got Talent". Two Brits, one German, and one Canadian.

I believe all were born in France with the exception of Umtiti who was born in Cameroon but has been in France since age 2 and Lemar who was born in Guadeloupe but that is considered a part of France.

If by some miracle England won the WC we possibly would have the same conversation as all but one are English born but half the team is black/mixed race (mostly Jamaican origin) and the captain Harry Kane is of Irish stock.