Ever Taken Part In A Scavenger Hunt?

Avalon
This topic is 2151 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scavenger_hunt

That's one of the current storyline's on the Australian soap opera "Neighbours".

Back in the 80s one Halloween I was at my grandmother's. There was a church a couple of blocks away and they were having a scavenger hunt for children.

There was a knock at the door. The child showed me their list. I was able to provide two items - a light bulb and a half-dollar coin.

I doubt in this current day and age they would let children go around the neighborhood like that at least without being accompanied by an adult. This child was alone but I saw other children at doors across the street.

When I lived in Anchorage in the early 1980's, I participated in a city wide scavenger hunt for charity. Each 4 member team was assigned a taxi cab and was given their first clue that would lead them to a destination somewhere in the city. Actors were stationed at each location, and after our team "solved" the clue, we were given a token that proved we were there. Plus, we were handed the clue to another location.

One of the clues was actually sheet music to an un-named song. The instruction was to "find the one you sing of and take a bite." The song turned out to be "The Yellow Rose of Texas."

There's a yellow rose in Texas

That I am gonna back to see

Nobody else could miss her

Not half as much as me

She cried so when I left her

It like to broke my heart

And if I ever find her

We never more will part

She's the sweetest little rosebud

That Texas ever knew

Her eyes are bright as diamonds

They sparkle like the dew

You may talk about your Clementine

And sing of Rosa Lee

But the Yellow Rose of Texas

Is the only girl for me

None of us could read music so we went to a nightclub with a live band and asked them to play the tune. We figured out the words by asking the band and nightclub patrons to sing the song for us.

Solve: There was a restaurant in Anchorage called "The Yellow Rose." We jumped in the taxi and the four of us ran into the restaurant looking for "Rosa Lee." She (the actor), had a yellow rose in her hair, and was sitting at a table having dinner with friends. The "take a bite" from the clue led us to pick up a fork and have some of her dinner. She gave us the token and the clue to the next puzzle.

There were no cell phones back then, and I don't think Al Gore had discovered the internet yet, so it took a lot of ingenuity and luck to solve each of the puzzles.

We had to solve as many puzzles as we could in 3 hours, and had to check back in at the hotel "home base" within 3 hours to turn in our tokens. While the judges scored each team's bounty, we had dinner and drinks. The whole thing was incredibly fun and still brings back memories from over 30 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scavenger_hunt

That's one of the current storyline's on the Australian soap opera "Neighbours".

Back in the 80s one Halloween I was at my grandmother's. There was a church a couple of blocks away and they were having a scavenger hunt for children.

There was a knock at the door. The child showed me their list. I was able to provide two items - a light bulb and a half-dollar coin.

I doubt in this current day and age they would let children go around the neighborhood like that at least without being accompanied by an adult. This child was alone but I saw other children at doors across the street.

You couldn't wait to post about this near Halloween?

A friend and I designed a couple of scavenger hunts. The first was for his youngest sister as her combined bachelor/bachelorette party, men vs. women. The second was for the same couple's 10-year anniversary, and designing one that wasn't too easy given that everyone had smart phones and internet access by that time was difficult. We went overboard, nobody finished the second one.