Super "Sopranos"

spiro3
This topic is 6555 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Is anyone else here as riveted as am I by the new (and from all accounts final) season of "Sopranos"? IMHO, it matches or exceeds any season to come before it. The second episode where Tony is (accidently?) shot by his Uncle Junior and lies in a coma ( where he dreams he is an ordinary saleman lost in LA) is a masterpiece. And the continuing drama of Vito, the not-so-in-the-closet Soprano strongman, who is discovered cavorting in a leather bar is both hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

If you have gotten out of the Soprano habit, better give it a try. You'll be hooked as I am.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest alanm

This is the best season in a long time, with many plots unresolved & little clue to where the story lines is going.

Vito, the gay Soprano captain, who was outed last night is not exactly the most sympathic character but we can probably all identify with what he's going through, if just a little. Most surprising, Vito's few supporters include Tony Soprano (well not total support), Vito's wife and Meadow's fiance, Finn, whom Vito came on to. Meadow is Tony Soprano's daughter.

The long scene last night between Lorraine Bracco (Tony Soprano's shrink) & James Galdolfini (Tony Soprano) on being gay was priceless. According to Tony, mob guys get a pass for gay sex in jail because there are no woman, but forget about in every day life.....

RE: Super "Sopranos"

First: Tony was shot on the 1st episode, not the 2nd. Second: this season sucked as the very worst, until the writers decided to let Tony recover: those hokey scenes of him as an identity theft victim salesman stranded in Vegas and the hospital bedside scenarios with Meadow's voice bringing him back from the dead were just GODawful! Third: this is NOT the last season; as has been announced previously there will be a short final season comprised of just a few episodes after this season, with feature length films to follow after that.

Sheesh, trite gay stereotypes played to the HILT!

The Sopranos SUCK so badly this season, that they have to play on the "gay card" to try to bolster a seriously sagging viewership, and they are playing the deck REALLY, REALLY badly!

TRITE: Vito, the gay mobster, is married to a clueless wife, who defends him as a great provider and father despite iterating earlier that Vito hasn't fucked her in over a year; Vito is a LEATHER QUEEN, dressed as that "motorcycle guy in the Village People"; Vito is stranded due to car problems in GASP!!! New Hampshire!!, where WTF??? two nellie queen gays just happen to be "regulars" at the local dive diner where Vito has his first breakfast; Vito visits one of those gay guy's establishments, which GASP again, just HAPPENS to be an antiques shop, and where GASP Vito just HAPPENS to pick up the most expensive item in the shop, an effeminate art vase, created by GASP, YET AGAIN, a Lesbian artist, and GASPPPPPP!!!, the nellie queen owner of the antique shop compliments him on his "natural" gift!

The creators/producers/etc. of this show have you just where they postitioned you to be.

Yes, maybe Tony can overlook Vito's being gay, but I'm betting that all hell will break loose if and when he finds out that Vito hit on Finn. 'm in the camp that thinks this is a great season so far even with the dream sequence. It was priceless to see Carmella have a session with Malfi. In fact, I think what this season is about that Tony will only trust two people - Carmella and Malfi. The latter has assumed the role of conigliori, even if neither of them are aware of it.

Dan Dare

http://www.geocities.com/dandare_laca/DanDare4Hire.html

Guest alanm

At this point, Dr. Jennifer Melfi is the only person whom Tony can trust to be honest with about his emotions. Carmela and Sil have their own agendas.

In the long Melfi-Soprano conversation about homosexuality, Tony went from siding with "Senator Sanitorium" to saying "God bless, I got a second chance. Why shouldn't Vito?" It was a classic, especially when they talked about what being gay meant in their respective "circles."

I watched the episode a second time last night and concluded that Tony had reluctantly decided that Vito had to go after his conversation with Sil, who suggested that "the guys" would have less respect for Tony (i.e., kick back less money) if Vito lives.

I'm 62, so can remember TV back to its early day. There have been about a dozen must see show in my lifetime, starting with "The Texaco Milton Berle Show" and "I Love Lucy.". "The Sopranos" is also on that list, for the writing, acting, direction and groundbreaking approach to "seasons"

(that is, whenever David Chase is ready).

give me a gay Italian break

>the Village People"; Vito is stranded due to car problems in

>GASP!!! New Hampshire!!, where WTF??? two nellie queen gays

>just happen to be "regulars" at the local dive diner where

>Vito has his first breakfast; Vito visits one of those gay

>guy's establishments, which GASP again, just HAPPENS to be an

>antiques shop, and where GASP Vito just HAPPENS to pick up the

>most expensive item in the shop, an effeminate art vase,

>created by GASP, YET AGAIN, a Lesbian artist, and

>GASPPPPPP!!!, the nellie queen owner of the antique shop

>compliments him on his "natural" gift!

I am SO GLAD someone pointed this out! The writers want everyone to believe that it is a genetic predisposition of homosexual men to smell out antique shops and then find the most pricey item. What really had my bile rising was Vito finding the "gay heaven" ... a bed and breakfast! AND that woman was TOO trusting! AND she didn't find him, his circumstance and his overall demeanor odd? Don't you run a credit card even if the person is paying cash? What if he fucked up the room and left before morning? She took no ID?

>The creators/producers/etc. of this show have you just where

>they postitioned you to be.

I heard that not only is this not the last season but the actor that plays Vito pissed off one of the writers. Hence, gay stereotyping 101. I will now watch this show on HBO on Demand and use that Sunday viewing time for something else.

Besides seeing Louis of Gaiety fame this season seems to be a disappointment.

RE: give me a gay Italian break

Jeez....youse guys expect subtlety from the SOPRANOS?

And, VD and VH, for two fellas who claim to detest this show you sure seem to know an awful lot about it......

I'll be glued to HBO Sunday night to see how the newly sensitized Tony deals with this unexpected problem.....or has HBO sheduled that other "big queen" show ( Elizabeth I) for that time slot? I'll have to check.

>And, VD and VH, for two fellas who claim to detest this show

>you sure seem to know an awful lot about it......

It's vdN! I am not a venereal disease. And I know a lot about the show because I have been a fan since the beginning. Like most shows that have been on for a while there are ups and downs. Making Vito into an antiquing Mary is something I do currently detest about the show. However, it is "some"thing and not "every"thing. He pissed off a writer and now a writer is having fun blowing up every northeastern stereotype there is about gays.

>I'll be glued to HBO Sunday night to see how the newly

>sensitized Tony deals with this unexpected problem.....or has

>HBO sheduled that other "big queen" show ( Elizabeth I) for

>that time slot? I'll have to check.

I am confused why HBO is doing Elizabeth. She has been done on the big screen and quite nicely recently on Masterpiece Theater. I am curious to see what they bring to the interpretation that hasn't been done before. And, I am sure, Helen Mirren's Elizabeth will be more masculine than Vito's griddle eating, antiquing ass.

Guest alanm

Fine. Watch "Sesparate Housewives" instead and keep up with the very realistic adventures of Andrew and Justin.

If you indeed are a fan of "The Sopranos," you must have figured out that the non-politically correct show is showing Vito (and us) what life might have been like as a gay man before he gets killed in the next episode or the one after that.

>Fine. Watch "Sesparate Housewives" instead and keep up with

>the very realistic adventures of Andrew and Justin.

I don't know the people you speak of. I have never watch Desperate Househives nor will I ever.

>If you indeed are a fan of "The Sopranos," you must have

>figured out that the non-politically correct show is showing

>Vito (and us) what life might have been like as a gay man

>before he gets killed in the next episode or the one after

>that.

I think before he gets whacked he is due for a nice rimming from Mel in the diner where he found love in a short order cook. I don't think the show is politically incorrect as it is a bit too realistic in that this is how many people speak behind closed doors. America is the land of the free and the home of the brave ... but no one said it was pretty. BADABING!

VDN. HBO is Running Liz 1 on Sat & Mon at 8 P.M.

One of the Hot reason's IF for "No Other Reason", is to catch "Hugh Dancy" who is a Dead Ringer for a certain Working Guy JT knows!

I'm puzzled with his Looks alone..Why Mr Dancy doesn't work alot more..

LOL :p :P :p

>VDN. HBO is Running Liz 1 on Sat & Mon at 8 P.M.

Because I love history I tuned into Elizabeth I on HBO last night. I tuned in against my better judgment because I watched the "making of" and I wasn't impressed their set was in a sports stadium in eastern Europe.

I couldn't watch past 30 minutes. The acting was pedantic. Helen Mirren's interpretation of Elizabeth was dry and too casual. Geez ... I sound like a bigger, more critical queen then the real Elizabeth ever was. ;)

Now, in regards to the Soprano's tonight, who wants to make a bet Vito gets some action with the griddle cook? If Vito buys a pair of Birkenstocks I will scream.

Now, now, now HPV, err VDN. :7 you're not a bigger queen that Le LIZ II, much less Le LIZ I. ;)

Spot on with the Sopranos comments, at least imo, as someone who owns and has watched more than once every episode of the show. You have already shown that you know how to critique based on last year's awesome Six Feet Under thread.

Like you, I also started not to watch Elizabeth I, as also being a history buff, I've read extensively about Tudor and Stuart England, and could not fathom, what new could possibly be said about Elizabeth I, given all the treatments already done in every media.

But, I'm glad I watched, as it turned out, at least imo, to be an excellent show. True, it was rather flat the 1st half-hour, but Helen Mirren showed a lot more emotional range in the rest of the show. In all the portrayals I've seen, no one has ever done as good of a job as Helen Mirren, at showing that Elizabeth I was just as much of a victim of the times, as she was a cold-hearted ruler. This came thru especially well in the treatment of the relationship between Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots (imo, the best scenes in the show).

I'd suggest that you give it another try when it hits the on demand this week, as it is worth the plodding first 40 minutes. The execution scene of Mary, Queen of Scots, alone is classic! I'm looking forward to the second part.

BTW: I agree, that short order cook at the diner, is most likely going to heat it up with Vito.

RE: Off With Their Heads

Who would have ever thought that The Hawk and I would have the Queen of Scots in common? Ever since Margaret George's fascinating (800-page!) historical novel, I have been a mini-buff for this time in Scottish history. It, of course, automatically leads to some interest in Elizabeth I and James I, so this HBO special was of interest to me. And I agree again with The Hawk that the first 40 minutes sucked. But Mary was well-played...at least, I felt her pain!

The Earl of Essex (Hugh Dancy) does stir things up with his appearance, although it is a little disconcerting to see him kissing the woman who will turn on him. You can read more about that in a new book called After Elizabeth, which details the end of her reign and the ascension of James to the throne. It is a fascinating read, what with all of the palace politics, backstabbing and heads rolling. Kind of like Hooville Goes Royal. :)

Sorry, I am not a Sopranos fan.

>Now, now, now HPV, err VDN. :7 you're not a bigger queen that

>Le LIZ II, much less Le LIZ I. ;)

Well, it depends who you ask. I don't have the bags and the hats but I do have the drama. This has truly been an "annus horribilis" so far even though I didn't have a castle torched.

>Spot on with the Sopranos comments, at least imo, as someone

>who owns and has watched more than once every episode of the

>show. You have already shown that you know how to critique

>based on last year's awesome Six Feet Under thread.

Your praise is appreciated. Your comments are also an intellectual enema that is needed here more than often.

>she was a cold-hearted ruler. This came through especially well

>in the treatment of the relationship between Elizabeth I and

>Mary, Queen of Scots (imo, the best scenes in the show).

It is still on my DVR list (however, it is tagged to be erased as needed). Because of your recommendation I will give it another go. I will have to pretend that I am NOT listening to Anakin's "dark teacher" when Lord Burley speaks.

>BTW: I agree, that short order cook at the diner, is most

>likely going to heat it up with Vito.

Something or someone is going down tonight. I think Vito will have his day as mayor of Doily Town before he is finally "released".

Always a pleasure VaHawk!

VDN

"Always a pleasure VaHawk!"

Right back at you VDN! :7

Tonight's episode of the Sopranos, although good, was really anti-climatic after the two previous episodes, as NOT one scene about Vito! :-(

Guest alanm

This time we agree. Christufer (as Ad used to call him) in Hollywood was mildly fun. Didn't Bacall have great trouble reading the cue cards at the Academy Awards & then bitched about the bright lights in her face?

Wonder what her excuse is for that performance last night?

Decent episode, nothing more.

>Tonight's episode of the Sopranos, although good, was really

>anti-climatic after the two previous episodes, as NOT one

>scene about Vito! :-(

What the HELL was last night's show about?!? Was it a new reality show called "Cooking and the Mob: Fuck the Rabbit"? Chef BoyarDUH was really annoying and very creepy. And I am so glad the writers took this time to remind us how Christopher really is 14 years old. He loves his free toys and he loves his blow ... oh yeah, and he loves those tits. They made him the epitome of every immature, drug addicted, greedy American male there is. I guess this took out any hope that his character would develop any depth.

I am sure Vito is having a gay old time in Doily Town since he is a natural with antiques and all things stereotypically gay. I wonder when we see him next week if he will have a lisp and a rainbow necklace.

And poor Lauren Bacall ... bitched slapped for some expensive cheese and lotion.

Well, I'm just posting to let you know my final thoughts on Elizabeth I on HBO, and I repeat, just my thoughts, and not a dictum to others, who may have a different opinion.

I LOVED!!! it!!! I don't care if it was filmed in a soccer stadium wherever, as the costumes/scenery (all minimal), imo, was not what it was all about. IMO, what is was all about, was showing Elizabeth I as a real person, who had to suppress her true emotions, as she was ruled by the times and the political intrigues of the European courts as much as she ruled.

Helen Mirren, WOW!, no one, and I repeat no one, in any other portrayal of ER has brought that point home more forcefully for me. WTF, at the end I could "feel her pain"!, and wow, that death scene!, whew, spot on, as it rang all my "emotional bells".

Again, my opinion, but, if Helen Mirren doesn't win an Emmy for her protrayal of Elizabeth I Regent, as a vulnerable, feeling human being, doomed to the times, rather than a dry historical figure found only on the dusty pages of history books, then there is no reason in such awards!

>I LOVED!!! it!!! I don't care if it was filmed in a soccer

>stadium wherever, as the costumes/scenery (all minimal), imo,

>was not what it was all about. IMO, what is was all about,

VERY minimal ... to the point where it did remind me of high school drama club ... queens and all.

>Again, my opinion, but, if Helen Mirren doesn't win an Emmy

>for her protrayal of Elizabeth I Regent, as a vulnerable,

>feeling human being, doomed to the times, rather than a dry

>historical figure found only on the dusty pages of history

>books, then there is no reason in such awards!

As per your recommendation I did give it a second chance. I completed part 1 tonight. Mary's death scene ... my stars! What finally got me in was Mirren's take on Elizabeth's reaction to the gore/horror/reality of it all. I look forward to viewing the conclusion tomorrow (I have it on DVR). If it is a good as you said it is then I am sure she will get some recognition for this. The fact the letters HBO are tagged on this will get her some award. Sadly, I must admit, I didn't get to view part 2 tonight because I had an episode of Gilmore Girls to watch and there was a new Medium on tonight. Yes, I am but a simple girl when it comes to TV anymore. BUT I am in heaven as Little Britain's 3rd season, which just completed it's American airing, was OUTRAGEOUS.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40995000/jpg/_40995234_pollard_203.jpg

Guest alanm

>I am sure Vito is having a gay old time in Doily Town since he

>is a natural with antiques and all things stereotypically gay.

> I wonder when we see him next week if he will have a lisp and

>a rainbow necklace.

It was good to see Vito make a friend last night, maybe he will become something more than a fuck buddy. Also, Vito seems to be able to let go for the first time in his life & really trust someone. Nice little NH

town, which has turned out to be pretty typical for the White Mountain state.

>It was good to see Vito make a friend last night, maybe he

>will become something more than a fuck buddy. Also, Vito seems

My FUCKING stars! As a viewer and a human being I felt insulted last night. I know that in real life one of the writers is pissed at the actor that plays Vito. Therefore, Vito is gay. HOWEVER, when Captain Gay showed up on his motorcycle and saved the little girl from the INFERNO I tried my best to control my gag reflex. Yes, I know we are ALL suppose to suspend reality when watching TV, etc. blah blah BUT ... NO other fireman (or in this case, firegal) could get to Becky Thatcher before Captain Gay showed up!?! Does he have special powers that none of the other firemen had? NONE OF THEM could save the day for the whole time that place was burning? Of course not. Vito had to see his ideal sex God (a man that cooks) save the girl AFTER he pulls up on one of the biggest gay icons ever .. a motorcycle.

"The Sopranos" is now off of my DVR list. I won't waste any more space. I will watch it on HBO on Demand. This crap can wait until Monday afternoon for my viewing.

And let's not forget about AJ. He clearly has ADHD.

>to be able to let go for the first time in his life & really

>trust someone. Nice little NH

>town, which has turned out to be pretty typical for the White

>Mountain state.

If having a discussion about the rinse cycle is typical talk in the morning then I want to be slapped instead.

Archived