Sleepnumber and other mattresses

AffectionateBear
This topic is 2175 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This site continues to be such a wealth of information and experiences. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the sleepnumber beds?

My partner and I are quite opposites. I'm 54 and 275 lbs. He's 34 and 150 lbs.

We recently tried the $570 Nectar mattress available online. I LOVED it. I'd sleep thru the night, tossing and turning greatly reduced, woke without a backache. He HATED it. He tossed and turned, very fitful sleep. They have a one-year return policy. I had my money back within 36 hours of it being returned.

Next we tried the $2200 Purple Mattress; one of their newer models. He LOVES it. And while I do think it is comfortable, the backaches are back and I'm often moving to the couch around 5am. It's going back soon. They have a 100-day return policy.

So we've decided to give the sleepnumber a try. We went to the store and tried some out yesterday.

It seems to me that the thicker the foam topper on it, the benefit of the air pressure would be reduced, especially for someone like me who needs a firmer mattress. For that reason, I'm leaning to getting the p5.

The only benefit of going to the p6, from what I can see, is that it has some type of graphite (or something) in the foam that is supposed to help keep you cooler. I'm wondering if that really is worth it.

Any experiences and thoughts anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Two suggestions in buying a mattress:

1. Don't be reserved in any mattress showroom. Try the many positions for which you use a bed. Example...its years since I tried a Sleep Number. It was super comfortable when laying down. Had a bit of a plastic air mattress noise whenever I moved. However, I sit at the foot of my bed to put on shoes... and I found the support totally inadequate. Totally sunk in when sitting up. (Might be better nowadays) So... don't just lay down in the showroom. Do you sit up and read? Are you fond of getting on your knees with a partner? Etc. Try the mattress in all desired positions.
  2. [This second point might not be relevant to Sleep Number, and their manufacturer's store exclusivity sales model.] Mattresses are labeled to prevent comparison shopping. However, if you pay careful attention to exact features, and don't care about ticking, you can compare and negotiate between retailers. I bought a Stearns & Foster latex mattress at a local store. I noted the depth, the different layers of foam, the pillowtop, etc. I found the exact same configuration, S&F, but different model name and ticking, online. I always try to buy local first, support local retailers. I'll pay a bit more. But if savings are significant, (20% or more) I'll order online. I showed the online mattress to the local retailer... and before I could even ask about price, they not only offered a price match, they also retained their current promo of no sales tax. So I actually got it at a lower price. Reinforced what I'd already read online - the markup on mattresses is huge and there's alot of room to negotiate with retailers.

People report foam, particularly memory foam, is heat-sensitive to mold to our bodies. But that also means they reflect back heat and people sleep warm. I know nothing about graphite. The heat issue is why I bought the latex, which reportedly does not reflect back heat same as foam. Maybe thats a gimmick, but I'm happy with the mattress, and its not hot.

Edited by LaffingBear

Consumer Reports March edition rated the Sleep Number i8 model the highest. However, the c2 model was only 3 points lower and only 1/3 the price. The 3 point decrease appears to be in the “large/tall back sleeper” category (“side sleeper” was the same).

Here are some older threads that may also be of interest:

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/anybody-enjoy-sleeping-at-the-westin.43709/#post-396161

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/do-box-springs-make-a-difference.126744/

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/if-its-over-8.117995/

If you do not go for the sleep number or one of the many foam mattress on the market, and go with a mattress with spring, Make sure it is a 2 sided mattress. That is all i sell in my store . all the big names on the market are 1 sided , and will end up sleeping in a hole,

If you do not go for the sleep number or one of the many foam mattress on the market, and go with a mattress with spring, Make sure it is a 2 sided mattress. That is all i sell in my store . all the big names on the market are 1 sided , and will end up sleeping in a hole,

where is your store?