iPhone temperature warning - how did that happen?

KeepItReal
This topic is 2093 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was outside today for a while, enjoying the sun, listening to music on my iPhone. Suddenly it stopped, music cut off. When I glanced at it, I got the notice below. Not sure what made today so special - it's not uncommon for me to be outside in the sun, but the first time this happened... This ever happen to you? o_O

overheated-iphone-warning.jpg

I was outside today for a while, enjoying the sun, listening to music on my iPhone. Suddenly it stopped, music cut off. When I glanced at it, I got the notice below. Not sure what made today so special - it's not uncommon for me to be outside in the sun, but the first time this happened... This ever happen to you? o_O

overheated-iphone-warning.jpg

Besides a high ambient temperature, a background app may have been stressing the cpu. raising the core temperature of the phone, and making it more likely to get this warning. Check for background apps and kill them!

• 1 month later...

Very common. Simply place it under your towel.

While I've not tested, I think it's less likely if the screen faces down. I think the glass is more prone to the "greenhouse effect" than the back, but this is only based on a casual observation. I also keep one permanently mounted in my car and it's not a problem if the car is simply hot...it's only a problem if the screen is exposed to direct sun in the hot car - or so it seems.

Very common. Simply place it under your towel.

While I've not tested, I think it's less likely if the screen faces down. I think the glass is more prone to the "greenhouse effect" than the back, but this is only based on a casual observation. I also keep one permanently mounted in my car and it's not a problem if the car is simply hot...it's only a problem if the screen is exposed to direct sun in the hot car - or so it seems.

Interesting; I am not sure the screen was facing the sun. Can't recall now. I do have a black cover on it which may absorb the heat even when the screen is facing away from the sun... Will keep it in mind - thank you!