Vehicle rentals

P Gren
This topic is 2155 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Any advice on renting cars in France? Ta

12 views but no helpful suggestions … :(

No sure what you want to know? Renting a car is just the same anywhere in the world these days. Only the language of the contract that you sign is different.

So if you already know how to rent a car, go to your favourite website and specific your city / airport etc.

The only difference in France is that all the cheap car rentals are manual, not automatic.

No sure what you want to know? Renting a car is just the same anywhere in the world these days. Only the language of the contract that you sign is different.

So if you already know how to rent a car, go to your favourite website and specific your city / airport etc.

The only difference in France is that all the cheap car rentals are manual, not automatic.

Just the basics. Anyone know if there is a Zip car or Go car equivalent in France? Or if there are car coops that might allow temporary foreign members. Scooter availability and costs and any special licensing. I thought it would be obviously I wasn't asking about booking Avis at the airport. The Guide books talk about the automatic/manual cost difference you mentioned. Thanks

Edited by P Gren

The most developed auto sharing company is Citiz (https://citiz.coop/)

They have a map of cities that they cover.

However their online registration might be difficult for you. They ask for your bank details and a proof of address.

Not sure they would accept a foreign version of that.

Zipcar seems to be only in Paris. I don’t know if they would accept an American account holder, you can try to book online.

Scooter availability and costs and any special licensing.I thought it would be obviously I wasn't asking about booking Avis at the airport.

We were supposed to guess you were interested in scooters from the sentence “Any advice on renting cars in France?” ?

I think you overestimate our mind-reading abilities.

No special licences for scooters, any driving licence will do. Sorry I don’t know about availability across the whole territory. I can do some research in French for you about a particular area if you tell us.

The most developed auto sharing company is Citiz (https://citiz.coop/)

They have a map of cities that they cover.

However their online registration might be difficult for you. They ask for your bank details and a proof of address.

Not sure they would accept a foreign version of that.

Zipcar seems to be only in Paris. I don’t know if they would accept an American account holder, you can try to book online.

We were supposed to guess you were interested in scooters from the sentence “Any advice on renting cars in France?” ?

I think you overestimate our mind-reading abilities.

No special licences for scooters, any driving licence will do. Sorry I don’t know about availability across the whole territory. I can do some research in French for you about a particular area if you tell us.

Thanks, I'll look at citiz. I figured out how to edit the headline to 'vehicle'

Edited by P Gren

Caveat: We're used to having unlimited mileage on car rentals here in the US of A. My experience [dated] is that there might be a charge per kilometer [edit note: nobody noticed I said "mile" originally].

And make sure you get the CDW (collision damage waiver). You don't want to be liable for damage in a foreign country. I avoided 1500 pounds sterling by doing that in the UK.

Edited by gallahadesquire

Caveat: We're used to having unlimited mileage on car rentals here in the US of A. My experience [dated] is that there might be a charge per mile.

And make sure you get the CDW (collision damage waiver). You don't want to be liable for damage in a foreign country. I avoided 1500 pounds sterling by doing that in the UK.

sounds like you shouldn't have let that hitchhiker fuck you on the hood of a rental ;)