Bill Maher on Brokeback Mountain

Tom Isern
This topic is 6639 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Bill says to stop whining that Brokeback lost to a "homosexual backlash." The only homosexual backlash in Hollywood is "an actual homosexual literally hitting you on the back with a lash. Besides," he goes on, "if Brokeback Mountain taught us anything, it's that there is nothing wrong with cuming in number two."

>"if BrokebackMountain taught us anything, it's that there is nothing wrong with cuming in number two."

If any number of other comedians had said that I might think it was funny. Coming from him, however, it comes across as just homophobic (as opposed to homophobic AND funny.)

http://www.RodHagen.com

Fun, Fit, Friendly Fucker in West Hollywood.

-Rod Hagen

I kind of agree with you Rod. His jokes rip on everyone, as he claims, but I can understand why you'd think of him as homophobic. He strikes me that way at times too, although I don't believe that deep down he is. I think he has some unexamined need to display his hetero phallus on this issue and I'm not sure why that is.

(Long time lurker, first time poster.)

Well, I'd say Bill Maher is an asshole--although sometimes a funny one.

I just finished watching Crash and I have to admit it is pretty powerful. And I find myself wondering, if it is homophobia that kept Brokeback from getting the Best Picture Oscar, why didn't homophobia keep Ang Lee from winning Best Director? Seems like the vote split the difference--best pic for one, best director for the other.

Eric

What do people have against Bill Maher?

If he is gay then I don't know why he spends as much as he does on voluptuous blonde prostitutes...

But what I really don't understand is what people's problem with him is. I've seen him in person several times and have always found him funny and much less offensive then most of the people he lampoons.

He doesn't write a great book though, if you'd even call them books. More like pamphlets with extra filler. Neither does Ariana, though she drones on about her one good point long enough to fill out a conventional book.

Al Franken, on the other hand, is a hell of a writer... I wonder what the thing where both he and Ann Coulter are speaking together is like.

RE: What do people have against Bill Maher?

Maher isn't anti-gay. If you've watched either of his shows he's had on television, it's crystal clear he's homo-friendly.

He makes fun of EVERYONE folks. Hell, he's a witty equal-opporunity offender, which is precisely what makes him a great comedian. Maher is unwilling to back down on a punchline to be anyone's bitch-boy.

On 'Real Time' he often takes the role as defender to the gay community against the backward pundits of the Bush brigade, backing up his arguments with researched facts and figures. Actually, when it comes to most of the hot button issues out there today, Maher seems most supportive of the gay community in terms of marriage, equal-opportunity and non-discrimination. Whether it's a smoke-screen for him to draw in a more liberal audience remains to be told, but he makes no bones about being pro-gay.

Added, i've watched him riff on the irish, polish, blacks, mexicans, french, gays, radical liberals, treehuggers, elderly, alcoholics and everything in-between. He takes no prisioners. I admire the fact that he can find humor in most things and don't overreact when he says something mildly non-PC about the gay community.

I think he's done his fair share in the past of helping us out on his show. Turning on him now for something like this would be just plain silly IMO. We need to stop being so damned radical and take time now & then to do a little laughing at ourselves...

It's good for the soul :)

~BN

Guest ript4hire

Bill Maher is so NOT homophobic! He wrote a great op-ed piece a few

years ago blasting this administration's attempt to amend the

constitution to prohibit gay marriage. It is pretty brilliantly

written. Here's a link:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/02/14/valentines_day_that_great_state_holiday/

My personal favorite line:

'There IS no sin, and homosexuality is NOT an abomination ... The

only thing abominable about being gay is the amount of time you have

to put in at the gym.'

Bill rocks :p

Eric

Guest bernardff

>Thanks Eric! When are you back in NYC?

Eric will be held in a secure place outside the USA till he does me (twice)........then again,haven't you got enough built smart-mouths to play with already? ;) ;)

Guest ript4hire

Only twice? Oh c'mon ... I thought this was going to be a challenge. :9

I'll be back in NYC beginning of May, stud. Hope we get a chance to

work together then!

Eric

"I think he has some unexamined need to display his hetero phallus on this issue and I'm not sure why that is."

Oh, puhleeeze—give me a fucking break. Bill Maher is a successful, straight male comedian, which typically means it's open season on everyone, especially gays. Some homos here take themselves too seriously.

Ben and Eric (why doesn't this hot guy have a website?) got this thread right. I don't always agree with his point of view but Bill Maher sure does make me laugh. His HBO show is much better than anything he could do on network. I love it.

ps Rumor has it that female size-queens love an evening with the reefer man.

Archived