Boston Hotels

cougar
This topic is 6625 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am planning on going to Boston for the first time here in a couple of months and I know nothing of the area. I have looked on websites for hotels, but it might as well be in a foreign language since I don't know what area of the city to stay in. I usually prefer to stay in the heart of the city, but what area of downtown Boston would those of you who have traveled there should I narrow my search down to? At this point, anything would be great, so give me the best.

Thanks

Boston's downtown -- the business part of it, anyway -- is a bit lonely at night. You might be happier in Back Bay. Boston is a very large city that spreads out a long way. But the part that tourists generally want to spend time in is quite walkable and includes Back Bay, the South End, the North End, Beacon Hill, downtown, parts of Cambridge.

But, all things considered, you'd probably enjoy Back Bay best.

BG

Back Bay is a great area to stay in in Boston, its convienent to everything and is surrounded by shopping and great restaurants...the Marriott Copley Square is attached to Copley Place, a shopping and entertainment center, good rooms, very clean....Also the Sheraton, which is attached to the Prudential Center, another shopping and entertainment center. There is also a hotel called The Lenox, an old, family owned hotel, well kept, lots of character, some of the rooms even have fireplaces, dead center in Back Bay...I've stayed at all 3 places, and recommend them all...Good Luck

A hotel with a good location is the Park Plaza. It's convenient to the South End (gay area), very close to the common, half a block from a rapid transit stop (the Arlington "T" stop on the Green Line), and a few blocks from the start of Back Bay. It's also walkable to the North End (good Italian food) and the central business district. It's not in the same class as the Copley Plaza (the old grand dame of hotels in Boston) or the Marriott, but it's a comfortable business class hotel with good service. There's a great restaurant that specializes in light meals, wine & dessert that's attached to the hotel. The area just S of the Park Plaza used to be quite notorious for cruising and rentboys, but no more.

Guest ReturnOfS

Theres the Marriott at Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA. Its right next to the Kendall Square subway stop which is an excellent way to get around downtown.

Well, yes, although it's not in the greatest tourist area itself. You really do need to leave the area of the hotel and go someplace -- either into Boston or to Harvard Square or just about anyplace but where the hotel is -- in order to find things of interest to tourists and a nice walking environment. (OK, the Cambridge mall is close to the hotel. :-))

The Residence Inn is right next to that Marriott. It's also a Marriott property and, while not a full-service hotel (i.e, no restaurant in the hotel), it's probably a much better deal for most travelers than the Marriott. You get more space and lower rates in rooms that are equal in quality.

In fact, if one is willing to take the T back and forth (as you suggest), you really can save money by staying at either of these hotels rather than staying in Back Bay. The down side of that equation is either a ride on the T each way or a taxi ride back and forth to wherever you're going. The taxi fare back and forth to Back Bay would probably end up close to $10 each way, including tips, although it would be cheaper going from Boston to Cambridge than the reverse.

So, all in all, it's not a bad suggestion and does offer the possibility of saving some money. But it's a bit of a schlep.

Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet (I think) is the old Tremont House, which has been taken over by Marriott and renamed the Marriott Courtyard Boston Tremont Hotel (how's that for a mouthful?). It's an older hotel that's right opposite the Wang Center on Tremont. It had gotten somewhat run down but Marriott has just finished or is just finishing a major renovation of the entire property and bringing it up to date and up to Marriott standards. Prices there tend to be far lower than other comparable Marriotts in the area, for the same quality.

For the original poster who isn't familiar with the city, the Tremont House is located at the convergence of four neighborhoods: Bay Village, Chinatown, the South End and Back Bay. I'd be hard put to say exactly which neighborhood it really is in -- I'd call it the "theater district" and be done with it.

It's within 5 to 10 minutes walking distance of all the bars. But, when you think about, so is almost all of the Back Bay, Bay Village, the South End, etc. This part of Boston is very compact and walkable and safe.

BG

Archived