Robert Mandan aka Chester Tate died

This topic is 2164 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Soap's initial run was when I was in jr high/high school, and it was also in that time that I started getting into musicals. At some point I got to know Applause, in which Mandan had a lead role. It was fun to realize that Chester Tate had been in a musical lol.

But there were a lot of those fun discoveries that then-contemporary TV stars had also done theatre. It was very strange to find out, for instance, that Inga Swenson (the conniving Ingrid Svenson on Soap) had starred in the very operatic role of Lizzie in 110 In The Shade (the musical based on The Rainmaker). Also that Cathryn Damon (Mary Campbell on Soap) was in a revival of The Boys From Syracuse - a show I also did in those teen years. And of course many others, including One Day At A Time's Bonnie Franklin, who sang the title song in Applause. Though perhaps my favorite discovery was that "crazy" Amy in Company (who sings the iconic patter song "Getting Married Today") was Beth Howland, who I already knew as the wonderfully dippy waitress Vera on Alice. Though the characters were certainly different, it was actually quite easy for me to hear "Vera" singing that song lol. (Of course, the really funny discovery about the cast of Company was the original Bobby, Dean Jones, who I knew only from Disney comedies like That Darn Cat, lol.)

In any case, RIP, Chester. :)