A map of gender diverse cultures

Walker1
This topic is 2205 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/content/two-spirits_map-html/

Interesting article and a map with stories about cultures that accept or did accept gender diversity. I think being born male/female or in some cases both is science, but some lean one way or the other. I myself was considered very feminine and was teased by kids in school about it and of course I was attracted to men.

Many people still tell me I have very feminine qualities and always found it far easier to relate to women than men on a day to day basis. Now though some of my masculine side is coming forward.

In the west I think we are far more regimented, even when we recognize diversity we have to label it and so try and label multiple genders -but maybe many things can't be labelled and we just ebb and flow in this mystery called life.

I found this interesting video of transgender in India dancing in the streets in India -apparently it has been part of their culture for eons and in several other nations as well and much more accepted in society. Iran surprisingly accepts transgender-as long as they are willing to live as women.