Oscars and the gay jokes

beefeater
This topic is 6653 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Oscars are traditional known for their jokes and references about gay people, and this year will be no exception. With Brokeback Mountain up for several nominations, gay jokes will be on the rise.

Other minorites would take offense followed by action if they were the subject of this so called "humor", however, jokes aimed at gays seem to be acceptable. This sends the wrong message to young people who think it's okay to make fun of gay people... How do you feel about it?

I'm kind of split on this - I am against the PC attitude that says no jokes on these subjects should be allowed, but I do get offended when the jokes are just cliched and tasteless. I guess each joke has to be judged individually.

I caught Joan Rivers on "The View" yesterday and listened to her carry on about "Florence of Arabia", "The Silence of the Poodles", and John Wayne asking if his chaps made him look fat. If this is the caliber of knee-slapping "humor" that we have to look forward to, we may as well just tune out now. :+

I think it all comes back to who is saying it (or writing it) and to what audience.

The book "####" (oh my god it got bleeped out but it starts with an "N" and heres a link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375421726/102-3135128-8547310?v=glance&n=283155) by Randall Kennedy puts it all out there. It explores the origins, uses and modern interpretations of the word. There’s the concept of “reclaiming” brought up in this book that is echoed by queer theory.

The idea of taking power away from those who oppress up with the word by using it in our every day speech. After finishing a grueling LGBT minor at my university, it’s interesting to think that the word “queer” was considered the end all insulting words to past gay generations. Now we use it jokingly in every day speech. “Fag” is slowly (and I do mean VERY slowly) taking on a similar future. While my generation of gays is toying around with it in jest but very carefully, a visit to my high school LGBT organization found that high school juniors and seniors are using it QUITE readily to describe themselves as the Top Fags on Campus and what not. My mouth literally dropped.

As to the actual QUESTION of your post. Well let’s face it. Hollywood is pretty damned gay whether they’re out of the closet or not. It’s the worst kept secret. The writer of the Academy Awards(by writer I mean the majority of these jokes) is one of the greatest screaming queens and has been there for the majority of the gay rights movement. He would never do anything in bad taste but being able to “laugh” at yourself is the best goal. Unfortunately for Ellen last year, she made it so taboo that people weren’t sure if they were supposed to laugh. By having Bruce Vilanch write the show things are going to be so over the top there will be no question as to what is and isn’t funny.

As to “Florence of Arabia…” did you really not expect every movie to have its gay pun counterpart? LOL. Lighten up people, it’s comedy and the CONTEXT (my favorite word on this board) is what matters. John Stewart may not e a homo but he’s not going to have something written for him that would be “out of line” or not pc. The jokes will be the same as any. I seem to recall Chris Rock and Whoopi having some tasteless racial jokes … but it worked for them.

Anyway, I’ll be there, hopefully not the cheap seats but it’s hard to have a bad view in the Kodak. Enjoy the show!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/photoops/vilanch/v4.jpg

(I mean really, would a face like that let you down?)

I think many of the "Behind the Scenes" Queens in Hollywood have the same philosophy: It's better to be the butt of a joke than to not be talked about at all.

And, of course, it's better even still when WE are writing the material!

La Trix

Archived